Witt O'Brien's, LLC
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
FEMA Public Assistance Appeals Analyst
at Witt O'Brien's, LLC
- 17-Sep-2019 to 16-Dec-2019 (PST)
- Houston, TX, USA
Witt O'Brien's Position FEMA Public Assistance Attorney-Advisor
Witt O'Brien's is the leader in crisis and emergency management. We help our clients prepare for, respond to and recover from disaster. Our mission is to make them readyRESILIENT.
Our highly skilled experts protect lives, communities and businesses in both the private and public sectors. We do that with innovative services that combine decades of front-line disaster experience with out-of-the-box thinking, to generate the best outcome for our clients. As the threat of disruption from both man-made and natural disasters increases, our solutions have never been in greater demand.
Are you looking for an opportunity to join a team that makes a real difference? Do you want to be part of a collaborative team that protects and strengthens communities and businesses? If you are looking for all these opportunities and more, then Witt O'Brien's is the right fit for you.
We are seeking the best and brightest talent to help us take our organization to the next level. We offer a stimulating work environment with a growth-oriented dynamism. Our compensation and benefits package is highly competitive, to encourage happy and motivated employees.
- Reports to: Associate Managing Director, Public Assistance
- Position Location: Open
- Position Type: On-call
- FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
- Compensation: Commensurate with experience
- Travel Requirements: Occasional
We are a growing consulting firm in need of a reliable and talented FEMA Public Assistance Attorney-Advisor. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience supporting activities related to appeals and arbitrations under FEMA's Public Assistance (PA) program on behalf of applicants to the program. The qualified individual requires executive presence, and strong verbal and written communication skills. We are looking for a self-motivated, responsible and confident individual with a commitment to integrity and the ability to prioritize multiple projects, meet deadlines, and work collaboratively with minimal supervision. If this sounds like you, then you have found the right fit in Witt O'Brien's.
The candidate will perform the following essential functions:
- Analyze written briefs and determinations prepared by FEMA.
- Develop and author first and second appeals on behalf of various state and local governments, special districts, and eligible non-profit corporations.
- Prepare appeals on a wide range of subject matter expertise containing arguments based on both Federal policy as well as accurate and complete supporting documentation.
- Act as a legal and technical advisor to management.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on the Public Assistance program policy and guidance.
- Advise, prepare and present arguments to FEMA, State and/or arbitration panels on behalf of program applicants denied from obtaining FEMA assistance.
Preferred Skills and Abilities
The candidate should possess the following:
- Experienced as a Senior Disaster Recovery Specialist with expertise in Appeals and Arbitrations.
- Experience working on behalf of FEMA program applicants in a management or law consulting firm.
- Strong legal background as a proven attorney with the ability to advise, prepare and present arguments to FEMA, State and/or arbitration panels on behalf of applicants denied from obtaining FEMA assistance.
- Proven track record of previous successes in development and authoring of first and second appeals on behalf of various state and local governments, special districts, and eligible non-profit corporations.
- Strong working knowledge of FEMA's Public Assistance (PA) program.
Education and Experience Requirements
The candidate must possess the following education and experience requirements:
- Degree: Must possess a 4-year degree from an accredited university and hold a Juris Doctorate, J.D from a reputable law school.
- Years of Experience: 5+ years of experience as a practiced attorney in the area of appeals and arbitration under FEMA's Public Assistance (PA) program
This position description incorporates the core responsibilities of the job. It recognizes that other related duties not specifically mentioned might also be performed, and that not all responsibilities may be carried out depending on operational needs.
Commitment to Diversity
Witt O'Brien's is always looking for the most qualified and experienced professionals with a passion for public safety, emergency management, homeland security, disaster response, and continuity of operations. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Are you ready to help us make the world a more resilient place? Join us and apply at wittobriens.com/careers.