Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Experienced Mechanical Engineer ● Houston
at Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, inc.
Are you ready for a rewarding and challenging career in our growing Metallurgy & Applied Mechanics practice? Our multi-disciplinary team leverages experience in material behavior and advanced analysis to develop engineering solutions for Industrial clients, and serves as a valuable technical resource for the organization as a whole.
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc. (WJE) is seeking an Experienced Mechanical Engineer with industry-recognized expertise in petrochemical, refining, power generation, upstream, midstream, mining, or other heavy industrial markets to join our Houston office. The ideal candidate is a well-rounded professional with a strong background in applied mechanics, who is capable of tackling complex engineering assignments in a collaborative fashion, and who excels at project management and client development.
WJE is a global firm of engineers, architects, and materials scientists committed to helping solve, repair, and avoid problems in the built world. Since 1956, our applied experience from more than 125,000 projects and our state-of-the-art laboratory and testing facilities have made WJE a leader in providing innovative yet practical solutions to the clients we serve.
- Master’s degree in mechanical or structural engineering with 5-7 years of related experience; 10 years of experience preferred.
- Professional Engineer registration or demonstrated ability to obtain.
- Strong analytical skills in the area of applied mechanics with a working knowledge of nonlinear finite element analysis (FEA) using Abaqus.
- Demonstrated ability to attract and develop industrial clients; preference to established business development experience in Texas and the Gulf Coast region.
- Experience managing a range of projects from small to large with strong technical, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Team player and a leader who is eager to collaborate and communicate with WJE colleagues’ company-wide.
- Active participant in professional organizations, technical committees, and industry conferences.
- Builds client relationships, and attracts new and repeat business.
- Acts as the primary client contact for projects, and is responsible for client satisfaction and all project deliverables.
- Researches and develops sound technical solutions to address client concerns, develops scopes of service communicated through high-quality proposals, manages project team, and maintains the project schedule and budget.
- Completes numerical analyses of industrial equipment, including fitness for service (FFS) assessments; performs technical reviews of analytical and written work product prepared by others.
- Mentors and guides the development of junior staff.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires visual acuity and listening ability. Requirements may also include:
- Ability to attend meetings at various office, field, and industrial sites
- Ability to perform inspections of buildings, plant equipment and other structures, both visually and with instruments
- Ability to lift and carry materials and equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to perform work in the temperature extremes presented by work in the outdoors
- Ability to read drawings, diagrams, printed materials and computer screens
- Ability to record data clearly and write passages for reports, letters, etc.
- Ability to travel
- Ability to safely work at heights
- Ability to safely use and/or operate ladders, scaffolds, lifts and other access equipment
- Ability to understand and appreciate safety training specific to numerous workplace and process hazards
- Ability to work safely in a variety of occupationally hazardous locations including confined spaces
- Medically fit to utilize respiratory protection devices and other forms of Personal Protective Equipment
- Ability to drive and safely operate a motor vehicle
WJE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite all qualified applicants to apply including individuals with disabilities, minorities, women, and protected veterans. (VEVRAA federal contractor)
WJE will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Fair Chance Ordinances.