Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
NHATS 2019 - Data Collector
at Westat, inc.
NHATS 2019 - Data Collector
NY - Queens
Westat is currently seeking motivated individuals with a commitment to excellence to collect data for an important study funded by the National Institute on Aging in a cooperative agreement with the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
NHATS Data Collectors will locate, gain cooperation from, and interview Medicare recipients age 65 years and older in their homes for a longitudinal study. Data Collectors will use Westat equipment including, but not limited to, a laptop, smartphone, and/or tablet. The interview takes about one and a half hours and covers issues regarding how life changes as we age. Data Collectors also regularly receive and transmit data via internet connection and report progress and costs to their supervisor.
NHATS Data Collectors must successfully complete training and demonstrate the physical activities component.
Interested applicants are required to view the NHATS Data Collector video to learn more about this position prior to submitting an application. To view the video, click the link below:
Or cut and paste this URL into your browser:
· Be at least 18 years old;
· Be available to attend mandatory in-person training Friday, May 17 - Wednesday, May 22; and
· Be available to complete Web-based home study training and additional home study materials April 25 and complete them no later than May 14.
· Be available to work during the data collection period of April 25 through October 31, 2019;
· Be available to work 24 hours per week; at least 6 hours per day, 4 weekdays per week when work is available;
· Be willing to travel locally for project work;
· Be able to meet the physical requirements of the position, with or without reasonable accommodations:
o Lift and carry up to 30 pounds of equipment and materials;
o walk 2 blocks; and
o Climb a flight of stairs while carrying equipment, with or without reasonable accommodations;
· Have regular and reliable access to a secure high-speed internet connection;
· Have regular and reliable access to an insured, reliable vehicle;
· Have a valid (current) driver’s license that is not under suspension; and
· Have work experience in jobs requiring public contact such as sales, teaching, real estate, or social work.
· Have in-person interviewing experience;
· Able to read, write, and communicate effectively in English;
· Have strong reading, verbal, and written communication skills;
· Have excellent computer skills (be able to access the internet, use the keyboard and email);
· Be comfortable using smartphones to keep track of time, enter data and navigate;
· Have the ability to conduct in-depth interviews with people from all walks of life and socio-economic strata in respondents’ homes;
· Able to communicate effectively and appropriately with respondents;
· Able to establish and maintain a good rapport with study respondents;
· Be self-motivated, organized, detail oriented, and able to convey the importance of the study to respondents;
· Work consistently in an organized manner;
· Be flexible in working assigned cases;
· Work well in a team environment with little direct supervision;
· Be responsive to corrective feedback; and
· Be able to read maps.
Any offer of employment may be contingent upon receipt of acceptable results from a post-offer background screening, if required for this position, based on the specific position, which may include, for example, identity verification, employment history, or criminal records history.
This is a part time, non-exempt position eligible for overtime pay. This position is not initially eligible for benefits. Working on this study can be a fascinating, rewarding experience. If you are a reliable self-starter, this position may be right for you.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other protected status under applicable law.