Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
($13) Direct Care Specialist I - Flex Time (up to 19 hrs/wk)
- Job ID
- # of Openings Remaining
Upbring Krause Children’s Center is a residential treatment center in Katy, TX for girls ages 12 to 17 who have experienced severe trauma. Our comprehensive treatment program helps these amazingly brave girls reclaim their lives and pursue their dreams
The New Life Residential Treatment Cetner, is continuously seeking PRN (flex time) staff to join the team. This position offers 19 hrs/wk on average and allows individuals felxibility to work other jobs or go to school. If you are ineterested in the position, we highly encourage you to apply. Please also note that your application may also be considered for full time vacancies, should one arise and you indicate you are interested in full time opportunities. Key area of need is for weekend and evening shifts.
The Direct Care Specialist I is responsible for supervising residents and maintaining a safe, supportive and therapeutic environment that meets the individualized care plan and personal development needs of the residents in accordance with Agency standards, state licensing standards and other federal, state and local regulatory requirements. The Direct Care Specialist I will follow a designated routine as assigned
Upbring is classified as an essential business by the Federal government because the services we provide are critical to the wellbeing of thousands of children and families.
- Provide direct supervision and observation of all residents while in their living space or common areas; know the whereabouts of all residents at all times during the shift
- Interact, observe and supervise residents in accordance to their individualized treatment and behavior support plans
- Set appropriate behavioral limits with residents in accordance to Agency policy and individualized treatment and behavior support plans
- Work in a manner that seeks to prevent crisis situations; proactively intervene to manage or de-escalate crisis situations; apply verbal redirection when deemed appropriate
- Complete assigned duties and paperwork, such as behavior sheets, observation notes, communication logs, shift reports personal restraint records, incident reports, etc. before the end of shift
- Maintain awareness of resident behavior and utilize the proper intervention and appropriate consequence in accordance with Agency policy and the resident’s individual treatment and behavior support plans; accurately document the behavior and intervention using the designated forms
- Provide residents with a full range of basic living skills, including, but not limited to bathing, feeding, cleaning, shopping and laundry
- Clean, organize and maintain the residents’ living space to provide a safe and therapeutic environment
- Ensure safety, security and sanitation standards are maintained in all work areas at all times
- Accompany residents and participate in and manage resident behavior in group therapy sessions as needed
- Teach, supervise and assist residents in achieving their daily goals
- Converse with residents to reinforce positive behavior and promote social interaction and community inclusion
- Accompany and/or transport residents to appointments, outings and activities using established safety protocol
- Assist with the new resident orientation
- Report and properly document all incidents in a timely manner (prior to the end of the shift)
- Prepare and attend supervision, unit, team and facility meetings as required
- Provide back-up services and assistance to other units/programs when needed
- Complete required training hours per licensing standards
- May be required to complete driving duties as driver and/or accompanying during transport. Subject to being designated as an authorized driver
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- Develop and maintain a positive working relationship with the program and clinical management team and staff, residents and volunteers to meet the needs of the residents and ensure the program goals and objectives are being met
- Work closely with management, the program and clinical staff to ensure program operations, goals and objectives are being met and the residents are receiving the highest quality of services and support
- Work as team player and exhibit professional behavior and a positive attitude with both internal and external clients that reflects positively on the Agency and is consistent with Agency policies and practices.
- Work within the Agency’s Code of Ethics and establish working relationships within the ethical boundaries established
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Must be 21 years of age or older per licensing requirements
- Prior full-time working experience, preferably in a residential care facility in direct care, eldercare, group home, or working with individuals with mental health and/or behavioral health related issues
- Must have valid TX driver license and auto insurance in order to be designated as an authorized driver
- Strong communication skills, with demonstrated ability to write legibly in a concise and understandable manner
- Strong time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines and complete tasks in a timely manner
- Ability to work both in a team environment and independently
- Ability to use good judgment, think and react rationally and calmly in difficult and stressful situations
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with a diverse staff and resident population
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Social Services, Human Services, or closely related field
- 6 months experience in residential care facility in direct care, eldercare, group home, or working with individuals with mental health and/or behavioral health related
- Knowledge of behavior modification and therapeutic settings
- Ability to provide conflict resolution and de-escalation methods and techniques to ensure the well-being and safety of residents
- Proficient with basic computer skills, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
Physical Demands & Work Conditions
- Requires working with a diverse population of youth with varying degrees of behaviors and trauma
- Requires standing for long period of time
- Lift, push, pull, move up to 125 lbs.
The physical requirements for this position with or without reasonable accommodation are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. While performing this position the employee with or without reasonable accommodation should have the ability to walk, stand, sit, kneel, speak, and hear with aid, see, read, reach with arms and hands, lift and/or move up to specified weight, and use equipment that is essential to performing the job, such as a computer, copier, fax machine, telephone, and automobile, if applicable. Specific vision requirements of this position may include color vision, seeing things close up, and the ability to adjust focus.
The statements herein indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by an employee in this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities of the job and may request the employee to perform other duties and responsibilities not listed at his/her discretion. This job description is not a contract between the employee occupying the position and the employer. Upbring is an at-will employer.
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status