Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at UL LLC
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Job Category
Initiates, designs, develops, executes and implements safety science research projects that are critical to corporate strategies. Investigates the feasibility of applying scientific principles and concepts to potential inventions and products. Plans and Executes Laboratory Research. Serves as the primary source for fundamental technical research in support of the business and mission. Maintains a broad knowledge of state of the art principles and theories and makes major contributions to scientific literature and conferences. Acts as a spokesperson on corporate Research and Development. Projects require expert and extensive knowledge of state-of-the-art principals and theories, and uses professional concepts and procedures to solve a wide range of scientific problems.
- Initiates, plans, designs and executes scientific research, experiments and related activities to ensure timely completion of projects. Evaluates results and provides recommendations to management through the partnership with Research Engineers.
- Leads the investigation and the feasibility of new product testing Standards by applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts to potential inventions, products and problems.
- Maintains and develops extensive scientific knowledge of current and new technologies for new products, as well as current needs and trends. Plans and conducts experiments to measure the body of scientific knowledge on topics related to safety science.
- Stays ahead of changing technologies, in the field by reading journals and scientific publications, attending academic conferences, writing and collaborating on original publications, and delivering presentations on scientific topics.
- Demonstrates potential for technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others, and independent thought.
- Collaborates with industry, academics and other research and development staff to apply the results of research used to develop new techniques, products, practices and UL Standards.
- Devises or helps draw up new research proposals and assists in applying for funding or grants when and where possible.
Responsibilities of New Hire as Research Scientist:
- Carry out research in battery safety science with mentorship from UL Research Director for Electrochemical Safety.
- Work on new battery and other energy storage technologies to understand the safety implications.
- Provide assistance with Battery Lab buildup in the Houston area.
- Work on modeling and simulations related to safety of battery and other energy storage technologies.
- Attend conferences (at least one a year), attend workshops and meetings.
- Provide assistance in working with UL’s Education team and UL’s Research Director for Electrochemical Safety to produce videos and other social media formats to spread the knowledge and awareness in the area of battery safety.
- Performs other duties as directed.
UL SAFETY MISSION
Our mission is to promote the safe living and working environments throughout the world by the application of safety and environmental sciences and hazard-based
UL NFP Organizational Goal:
- By carrying out research in the relevant field to advance our knowledge in the key areas mentioned in order to be science leaders with a proactive approach.
- By sharing knowledge gained in our areas of research with the relevant audience and making an effort to share this knowledge especially with those who have a need but don’t have the capability to carry out the scientific studies.
- By collaborating with other leaders and experts in the relevant fields to gain a variety of perspectives in order to broaden the understanding of safety issues in the areas of specialization.
- By publishing through journal articles and presenting at conferences, workshops, seminars, etc.
- By mentoring to the young minds to help them learn from the experts and inculcate the art of safety research.The Battery Safety Science Research Team’s vision is to be recognized as a science leader and to have its battery and energy storage research define and manage the safety of batteries through scientific investigation. The Battery Safety Science Institute will use data backed by science to reduce the risk associated with batteries and their various use cases to create a safer world around battery-powered applications.Vision:
The mission of the Battery Safety Science Research Team is to develop and implement proactive research that improves safety in the battery ecosystem and for various global stakeholder groups, with an initial focus on aviation. The knowledge gained from the research will influence UL standards formation, regulatory policy decisions, certification testing, education and outreach, as well as impact a global network of collaborators, partners and end-users.
- Coordinate UL NFP resources to conduct battery safety research to improve the safety of batteries and battery users worldwide and to advance energy storage research
- Partner with and support external research organizations that support our mission
- Convene battery safety science luminaries, stakeholder groups and aviation-relevant audiences to drive scientific engagement, awareness, dissemination and implementation of our research and knowledge. Convening these stakeholder groups will support the development of practical programs and solutions they can implement to improve battery safety
- Disseminate cutting-edge research on the most pressing battery safety topics through a variety of channels (workshops, conferences, publications, summits and council meetings, educational media, etc.)
- Educate our principal audiences and support broader safety and energy storage education
- Leverage our battery safety science knowledge to improve the safety of batteries in various sectors such as consumers, aviation and energy storage
- Provide fundamental data to influence standards formulation and actively engage in other regulatory policy formulations
- Process of Carrying out the Mission:
- UL is uniquely positioned to make a long-lasting impact in the battery safety space due to its distinguished history as a global safety leader. It has vast institutional capacity, expansive partnership reach and best-in-class scientific luminaries.
- Activities: Proactive research in the areas of battery safety with academia, industry and other research institutions
- Alignment to Vision: Make the world a safer place by reducing risks associated with batteries
- Target Audience: Consumers, utilities, aviation, automotive, research institutions, schools
- Research Partners: Universities, research institutions, industry, government
- Outreach and Education: Conference, workshops, seminars, videos, publications (journals and books)
- Advanced Degree in an Applied, Analytical, Physical Science or Engineering discipline, plus generally six years of direct related work experience.
- Demonstrated general knowledge of scientific disciplines.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain academic and applied knowledge and skills.
- Ability to collaborate with peers, and work directly with Research Engineers and other team members in order to complete a project from start to finish.
- Excellent communication skills required.