Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Lead Enterprise Architect (Azure/AWS)
at Wolters Kluwer
Title: Lead Enterprise Architect (Azure/AWS)
Wolters Kluwer Global Business Services is designed to provide services to the business units in the areas of technology, sourcing, procurement, legal, finance, and accounting which includes our North American-Accounting Center. These global centers promote team collaboration using best practices around a specific focus area to drive results and enhance operational efficiencies. There is a constant endeavor to benchmark against best-in-class industry standards to improve the quality of deliverables, increase cost savings, enhance productivity and reduce time to market for products and applications.
The Architecture & Engineering Services team is part of Wolters Kluwer Global Business Services (GBS). GBS is designed to provide services to the business units in the areas of technology, sourcing, procurement, legal, finance, and accounting which includes our North American-Accounting Center. These global centers promote team collaboration using best practices around a specific focus area to drive results and enhance operational efficiencies. There is a constant endeavor to benchmark against best-in-class industry standards to improve the quality of deliverables, increase cost savings, enhance productivity and reduce time to market for products and applications.
The Architecture & Engineering Services team provides compliant cost-effective services, which align to industry best practices and our company values. This is accomplished by using people with business knowledge, technical expertise and a strong team work ethic.
Wolters Kluwer requires Lead Enterprise Architects to have a technical depth of a single technical domain such as network, security, compute (Public/Private), automation and storage, to have the technical breadth across the other technical towers to define its own towers position within the overall system architecture.
Our Lead Enterprise Architects primary focus is to define their domains target architecture definition against the scope defined within a set of high level requirements. They are required to gather and translate a set of business requirements and develop target definition visions complete with roadmaps, high-level business case, design patterns, reference architectures, standards and to ensure the delivery of this vision is met through predefined set of governance processes.
Our Lead Enterprise Architects will leverage a standard set of enterprise wide artefacts such as Design Patterns, Standards and follow guiding Design Principles ensuring their developed architecture vision is aligned with delivering GBS strategic intent and ensures we leverage any pre-defined services within our service catalogue.
Essential Duties and responsibilities
Strategy and Architecture:
- Uses appropriate tools, including logical models of components and interfaces, to contribute to the development of systems architectures in specific business or functional areas. Produces detailed component specifications and translates these into detailed designs for implementation using selected products. Within a business change program, assists in the preparation of technical plans and cooperates with business assurance and project staff to ensure that appropriate technical resources are made available. Provides advice on technical aspects of system development and integration (including requests for changes, deviations from specifications, etc.) and ensures that relevant technical strategies, policies, standards and practices (including security) are applied correctly.
- Applies a variety of analytical and visualization techniques, in consultation with experts if appropriate, and with sensitivity to the limitations of the techniques.
- Maintains an in-depth knowledge of specific specialisms and provides expert advice regarding their application. Can supervise specialist consultancy. The specialism can be any aspect of information or communication technology, technique, method, product or application area.
- Takes responsibility for the design, procurement, installation, upgrading, operation, control, maintenance (including storage and communication of data, voice, text, audio and images) and effective use of IT infrastructure components and monitors their performance. Provides technical management of an IT operation, ensuring that agreed service levels are met and all relevant procedures are adhered to. Schedules and supervises all maintenance and installation work. Ensures that operational problems are identified and resolved. Provides appropriate status and other reports to specialists, users and managers. Ensures that operational procedures and working practices are fit for purpose and current.
- Contributes to the creation and review of a systems capability strategy which meets the strategic requirements of the business. Develops models and plans to drive forward the strategy, taking advantage of opportunities to improve business performance. Takes responsibility for investigative work to determine requirements and specify effective business processes, through improvements in information systems, data management, practices, procedures, organisation and equipment.
- Provides expertise and support on use of methods and tools.
Development and implementation:
- Recommends/designs structures and tools for systems which meet business needs and takes into account target environment, performance security requirements and existing systems. Delivers technical visualisation of proposed applications for approval by customer and execution by system developers. Translates logical designs into physical designs, and produces detailed design documentation. Maps work to user specification and removes errors and deviations from specification to achieve user-friendly processes.
- Specifies and designs complex hardware components/ systems. Selects appropriate design standards, methods and tools, consistent with agreed enterprise policies, and ensures they are applied effectively. Reviews others' designs to ensure selection of appropriate technology, efficient use of resources, and effective integration of multiple systems and technology. Contributes to policy for selection of components. Evaluates and undertakes impact analysis on major design options and assesses and manages associated risks. Ensures that hardware designs balance functional, service quality, security, systems management and sustainability requirements.
- Takes responsibility for installation projects, providing effective team leadership, including information flow to and from the customer during project work. Develops and implements quality plans and method statements. Monitors the effectiveness of installations and ensures that appropriate recommendations for change are made.
Delivery and Operation:
- Monitors service component capacity and initiates actions to resolve any shortfalls according to agreed procedures. Applies techniques to control the demand upon a particular resource or service.
- Provides technical expertise to enable the correct application of operational procedures. Uses network management tools to determine network load and performance statistics. Contributes to the planning and implementation of maintenance and installation work, including building and management of systems and components in virtualized computing environments. Implements agreed network changes and maintenance routines. Identifies operational problems and contributes to their resolution, checking that they are managed in accordance with agreed standards and procedures. Provides reports and proposals for improvement, to specialists, users and managers.
Relationships and engagement:
- Implements stakeholder engagement/ communications plans, including, for example; handling of complaints; problems and issues; managing resolutions; corrective actions and lessons learned; collection and dissemination of relevant information. Uses feedback from customers and stakeholders to help measure effectiveness of stakeholder management. Helps develop and enhance customer and stakeholder relationships.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management
Job Qualifications & EXPERIENCE
- Preferred: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or a related field
- Preferred Architecture Certification: TOGAF, ARCHIMATE, ZACHMAN, etc.
- Preferred Domain Expertise Certificates depending on role:
- Azure Certified Architect
- AWS Certified Architect
- More than 10 years IT Experience
- More than 5 years’ experience within an Architecture Role
- At least 2 years’ leadership experience
- Recent experience within Architecture, Design and implementation of complex, highly available and highly scalable solutions
- More than 5 years’ experience with defining, building and maintaining a specific Domain of Architecture, e.g. Network, Public Cloud, Private Cloud, Storage, Automation etc
- More than 3 years’ experience working with Cloud Computing
- A working experience of Information Security and the control points needed within a specific domain’s architecture.
- A working experience in an enterprise wide Architectural governance, architecture decisions, exceptions, standards etc..
- Developing complex business cases.
Other Knowledge, Skills, Abilities or Certifications:
- Recent experience in migrating services to Public Cloud (Azure / AWS)
- Azure PaaS Services (Functions, Search, SQL, Service Bus, etc.)
- Containers (Kubernetes)
Soft Skills Required:
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Project management skills: financial/budget management, scheduling and resource management
- Individual Contributor
All Locations:USA-IL-Riverwoods-Lake Cook Rd
Wolters Kluwer (WKL) is a global leader in professional information, software solutions, and services for the health, tax & accounting, finance, risk & compliance, and legal sectors. We help our customers make critical decisions every day by providing expert solutions that combine deep domain knowledge with advanced technology and services.
Wolters Kluwer reported 2018 annual revenues of €4.3 billion. The group serves customers in over 180 countries, maintains operations in over 40 countries, and employs approximately 19,000 people worldwide. The company is headquartered in Alphen aan den Rijn, the Netherlands. Wolters Kluwer shares are listed on Euronext Amsterdam (WKL) and are included in the AEX and Euronext 100 indices.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Wolters Kluwer U. S. Corporation and all of its subsidiaries, divisions and customer/business units is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.