Total Safety U.S., Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Tech II - Fire
at Total Safety U.S., Inc.
Specific Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs shop service and/or field inspection, testing, maintenance, and repair of fire equipment which may include customer portable and fixed fire extinguisher systems and components, fire detection and alarm system components, fixed gas detection systems components and foam, dry chemical, gaseous fire suppression systems and components and water-based fire protection equipment.
- Completes all documentation associated with inspection and repair in a timely and accurate manner and obtains signature from customer so that proper invoicing and documentation can be provided to customer. This includes all inspection and repair documents, job cost billable expenses and time sheets.
- Conducts detailed visual inspections and system functional tests of various systems and equipment for the purpose of reporting any deficiencies and corrective action recommendations to customer.
- Conducts pre-job, job update and post job completion briefs.
- Maintains work area and other areas in a clean and orderly condition.
- Performs basic maintenance and care of assigned vehicle and/or trailer.
- Operates electronic safety and communications systems including portable gas monitors, hand-held radios and other related equipment.
- Rigs-up and uses a wide range of safety equipment including but not limited to retractable lifelines, harnesses and lanyards.
- Assists others as needed.
Required Licenses or Specific Training: Must have a valid driver’s license from state of residence and valid proof of vehicle insurance. Must possess good driving record and be insurable for Total Safety vehicle insurance while driving company truck. Must be willing to travel to customer’s site and available for travel for short and long-term out-of-town projects. Must be able to obtain TWIC card and pass any required safety testing to include classes such as Basic Plus, OSHA 10 hour, etc.
May be required to obtain a driver’s license with a DOT hazardous endorsement if required by facility. Must have State Fire Licenses (if required by State) or pass NICET Level II testing (if State Licensing not required) in TWO disciplines of fire protection or have NICET 3 in one fire protection discipline for appropriate areas of service prior to performing work within those areas. At Management discretion, can substitute 5 years of experience for one of the disciplines provided employee obtains second discipline within 12 months of hire or promotion into Tech II.
Other Required Skills, Knowledge or Abilities:
Meets or exceeds service and quality targets with demonstrated ability to independently troubleshoot and diagnose equipment problems, regardless of complexity and take corrective action within policy and procedure limitations.
Knowledge of all regulatory standards pertaining to assigned responsibilities; i.e., State, OSHA, and NFPA regulations, etc.
Proficiency in the care and use of all site specific, facility and customer required Personal Protection Equipment (PPE). Trained in Respiratory Protection and fully certified to wear respiratory breathing equipment (Fit Tested) where required by facility.
Must demonstrate ability to work in a team environment and willingness to assume additional or new responsibilities readily.
Interpersonal Communications: Ability to read, write and comprehend English (operational, process, safety and quality instructions.) Ability to write technical reports and correspondence. Second language is a plus. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization preferred. Daily customer contact. Frequent contact with other facility personnel in order to understand issues. Frequent contact with less experienced maintenance personnel.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. Uses hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 60 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Shop, indoor and outdoor industrial environments. May be frequently exposed to cold, hot, wet, humid, outside weather conditions and vibration. Works in customer environment. May be exposed to high pressure, chemicals, and traffic. The noise level in work environment is usually moderate. Some elevated work is required.
Complexity of Duties and Decisions: Duties involve the use of several procedures or processes and generally have predetermined standards. Uses some judgment to arrange job details in order to achieve pre-determined objectives. Requires some ability to analyze and resolve problems. May suggest process improvements. Supervisor reviews progress versus detailed check for technical adequacy and conformance with practice and policy.
Authority: Works under general supervision: Broad instructions covering generally what is to be done, limitations, quality and quantity expected, deadlines and priorities are given. Additional, specific instructions are given for new, difficult, or unusual assignments. No direct reports, but serves as a resource to others. May assist with training less experienced staff.