Total Safety U.S., Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Total Safety U.S., Inc.
FIELD SAFETY TECHNICIANS
BASIC - JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following activities are a representation of what is expected of a person fulfilling the role of a Field Safety Technician / Permit Writer:
- Audits compliance with regulatory agency requirements.
- Reports unsafe conditions/acts/behaviors to appropriate management personnel.
- Monitors contractor work activities and reports deficiencies.
- Conducts / participates in safety meetings as scheduled by management.
- Maintains trend tracking documentation as required by client management.
- Monitors housekeeping throughout the work area.
- Assists with incident investigations as required by client.
- Performs gas testing and issues permits for general, hot work, confined space work.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, QUALIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE:
Educational and experience requirements include: Occupational safety/health degree or equivalent combinations of technical training and/or industrial related safety and health experience. Thorough understanding of all federal, state, local, company and client regulations. Ability to recognize hazardous situations and recommend corrective measures is essential. Good interpersonal and communications skills required.
1. Execution and/or Documentation of the following activities:
- Understand, interpret, and provide leadership and positive support for the spirit and intent of the facility’s safety program.
- Participate in daily progress update meetings during turnarounds and/or project activities.
- Daily interface and supporting of contractor safety department representatives.
- Daily / regular field inspections / audits of work in progress.
- Audit compliance with regulatory agency requirements.
- Assist with Daily Safety Observations to trend safety in the area (or similar programs).
- Daily random auditing of active work permits.
- Discussion with operations, maintenance, and contractors on issues pertaining to safety.
- Communicate incident details to appropriate departments and/or contractors.
- Daily auditing of lock out tag out, hot work, confined space entry.
- Tracking of near misses, first aids and accidents.
- Assist with inputting incident information into applicable databases when required.
- Assist with accident investigations
- Provide feedback to Client Representatives on issues / trends identified that relate to safety performance.
2. Develop an understanding of the units and processes in the area
- Interacts and works with the site Operations organization
- Develops good communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Responsive to routine requests for information.
- One on One communications with operations, maintenance and contractors.
3. Facilitating and participating in Job Safety Analysis with operations, maintenance and contractors when appropriate.
4. Assist in safety oversight of non-routine procedures, including General Safety Procedures, including:
- Hot tap procedures
- On Stream leak Repair Procedures
- Inert entry procedures
- Confined space entry and hot work.
- Safety Plan reviews
5. Participate / Facilitate / Conduct safety meetings – as required by the Client
6. Permit Writers- (in addition to duties listed above)
- Issue work permits (hot work, cold work, confined space entry, etc.) as required.
- Audits blinding lists / requirements for compliance with facility / regulatory agency requirements.
- Perform gas testing associated with permit scope.
- Ensures compliance with LOTO, energy isolation, blinding, etc. associated with permits.
- Ensures equipment affected by the work permits has been cleaned and tested and deemed safe for the work to be performed.
- Ensures areas within the permit scope are secure and all hazards (fire prevention, sparks, and chemicals) are abated before issuing permits.
- Ensures proper PPE is utilized for permit work.
- Monitors housekeeping throughout the work area
- Regularly oversees / audits compliance with permit requirements and scope.
All Permit Writers will have a minimum of 8 years direct related safety experience in the petrochemical/refining industry, or a minimum 10 years’ experience in operations with 5 years direct related safety experience. Additionally, all Permit Writers will have previous experience writing permits in the petrochemical/refining industry.
All permit writers will comply with Client permit procedures and gas testing requirements as a minimum. Additional testing, beyond the plant procedures, including blinding, lock out / tag out, energy isolation associated with permits must be reviewed and discussed with operations management, project management and contractors to ensure personnel and equipment safety.
It is imperative that permit writers be trained in specific plant permit procedures BEFORE undertaking permit writing and gas testing duties.
This document identifies the basic requirements for Field Safety technicians / Permit Writers. It is important to understand every facility will have specific requirements and expectations as well as those listed herein.
Certain assignments may require specialized experience or training and will be considered on a case by case basis.
About Total Safety:
Total Safety is the world's premier provider of integrated safety and compliance services and the products necessary to support them, including gas detection, respiratory protection, safety training, fire protection, compliance and inspection, comprehensive flare services, industrial hygiene, onsite emergency medical treatment/paramedics, communications systems, engineered systems design, and materials management.
Total Safety operates from 176 locations in 20 countries to ensure the safe Wellbeing of Workers Worldwide (W3).
Total Safety is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.
If you require special assistance or accommodation while seeking employment with Total Safety, please contact Human Resources at (713) 353-5152. (For telecommunications device for the hearing impaired – TTY, please contact 711).