The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
CHIEF OF SECURITY (MAJOR)
at The Geo Group
Facility: Montgomery Processing Center
Compensation Base: 65,000
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Responsible for the daily direction and supervision of security operations and any related functions. Meets the needs of the company and contract agency by making improvements in security operations without compromise to the safety and security of the client population or staff.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the daily functioning of all security unit operations.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with all regulations, rules, policies, and procedures for effective and efficient security operations.
- Exercises overall supervision of staff. Participates in the processes including selecting, hiring, evaluating job performance, employee training and development, promoting, and any disciplinary action up to termination.
- Ensures that security personnel receive on–the–job security and safety training.
- Develops policies relating to security operations. Makes revisions to current policies as required. Seeks approval through proper management channels.
- Plans and responds to emergency situations, directs searches for escaped offenders.
- Participates in the formulation of escape and riot control plans. Directs the training of staff in the execution of plans, use of weapons, and control procedures.
- Serves as committee member on training, budget and policy review boards.
- May assist management in the establishment of long-range plans and corresponding schedules to achieve facility goals and objectives.
- May assist in efforts to ensure continuing and coordinated community planning.
- Meets periodically with shifts to discuss operational issues.
- Responds on a 24-hour, 7-day basis to significant or unusual occurrences.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Bachelor's degree in the behavioral sciences or related field supplemented by courses in business administration preferred.
- Five (5) years of progressive work experience in a correctional environment. Two (2) years must consist of management experience directly related to the supervision, custody, classification, and treatment of adult inmates at a correctional facility.
- Ability to plan, assign, and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to treat staff and inmates in a consistent manner following proper policies and procedures that apply to the organization and facility.
- Above average verbal and written skills. Must be able to disseminate verbal instructions or training clearly and in a manner that is understood by the intended audience. Must be able to write memorandums and reports in a clear, concise, and accurate manner.
- Must possess a working knowledge of program objectives, policies, correctional laws, applicable court orders, procedures and requirements for managing a secure correctional facility as demonstrated by having a combination of relevant work, education and research experience.
- Must be mature, flexible, intellectually alert, able to command the respect and confidence of inmates and staff, and philosophically committed to the objectives of the facility.