Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
TVC-Veteran Career Advisor
at Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
Please Note: All applications must containcomplete job histories, which includes job title, dates of employment, name ofemployer, supervisor's name and phone number and a description of dutiesperformed. College transcripts must be attached to the application. A copy of the FORM DD214 -member #4, must beattached when submitting your Application. If this information is not submitted, yourapplication may be rejected because it is incomplete. Resumes do not take the place of thisrequired information.
**A writing exercise is requiredduring the interview process.
Submitted Through Work inTexas: Work in Texas (WIT) applicants must complete thesupplemental questions to be considered for the posting. To complete thesupplemental questions please go to CAPPS Recruit to register or login andaccess your profile. CAPPS Recruit: https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
General Description: Serves as a vital member of the Veterans EmploymentServices team. Will provide a full range of intensive services with an emphasis on case management,employment, training, and placement services to meet the needs of Veterans withpriority given to Disabled Veterans and Special Disabled Veterans. Our Veterans Career Advisors conductinterviews to assess Veteran client needs, disseminate information regardingemployment and training programs, and facilitate Veteran access to allworkforce development programs and services. In addition, Veterans Career Advisors advocate for Veterans employmentand training opportunities with business, industry, and community-basedorganizations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts a comprehensive assessment of training needs,education, experience, skills, interests and other relevant data to deliver theappropriate level of services and assist Veterans with barriers toemployment. This includes workingclosely with Veterans to enhance their job search skills and efforts.
- By using a case management approach, develops, documents andmaintains case management records by utilizing an on-line case managementsystem.
- Counsels and encourages Veterans throughout their reemploymentprocess.
- Outreaches Veterans who can benefit from specializedservices, outreaches to community- based organizations, employers, laborunions, Veteran service organizations and other service providers to promoteVeteran employment goals and objectives in finding suitable employment.
- May refer and job develop Veterans to employmentopportunities based on qualifications consistent with employerrequirements.
- Conducts and participates in workshops that assist Veteransin job search activities including resume writing, interviewing, etc.
- May make presentations to groups.
- May enter and retrieve information to/from computer systems(workinTexas.com, TWIST, etc.).
- General personal computer, Microsoft Windows and MicrosoftOffice experience preferred.
- Work hours other than 8-5 may be required.
- Performs related work as assigned.
MilitaryCrosswalk information: http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_SocialServices.pdf
Minimum Education: Associates Degree from anaccredited college or university with major course work in social work/socialsciences or a related field. Experiencemay be substituted for education on a year by year basis. Collegetranscripts must be attached to the application.
Experience: Two (2)years of experience in interviewing, assessment, job placement, retention andcounseling work of Veterans and other eligible job seekers.
Additional Requirements: Applicantsmust be a Veteran who served on active duty for a period of more than 180 days and was discharged orreleased with other than a dishonorable discharge; OR a Veteran who wasdischarged or released from active duty because of a service connecteddisability; OR an eligible person as defined by Title 38 of the United StatesCode.
PreferredExperience and Qualifications:
- Two (2)years of experience in the operation of computers and in applicable software
- Experiencewith case management principles, standards and methods.
- Experiencein case guidelines, regulations and polices.
- Experienceproviding excellent customer service to both internal and external customers
Knowledge,Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledgeof English language enough to compose correspondence, summarize information andwrite case narratives.
- Knowledgeof counseling techniques, assessments, career planning and interviewingtechniques.
- Knowledgeof community resources and supportive services.
- Abilityto assess Veteran needs and to coordinate Veteran services.
- Abilityto organize, monitor, document and follow-up with case managed clients.
- Ability to consistently present aprofessional image to customers, the public and co-workers.
- Ability to maintainconfidentiality.
Environmental & Physical Conditions:
Normal office work environment,mostly sedentary in nature. May involve walking; standing; remaining stationaryfor long periods of time; pulling and pushing; kneeling, stooping and bending;and safely lifting and carrying items weighing up to 30 pounds. Work involvesextensive telephone usage and repetitive hand/wrist/finger motions while usingthe computer.
Veterans Information: The Texas Veterans Commission is committed to hiringVeterans and is proud to employ the highest percentage of Veterans among allstate agencies. Additional info may apply via the job posting. A copy of the FORM DD214 -member #4, must be attached when submitting yourApplication.
This position hasbeen designated as a security sensitive position. A criminal backgroundinvestigation will be conducted on the final candidate for this position.
DUE TO THE HIGH VOLUMEOF APPLICATIONS WE DO NOT ACCEPT TELEPHONE CALLS. APPLICANTS SCHEDULED FORINTERVIEWS WILL BE CONTACTED.
AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: The Texas Veterans Commission does not discriminateon the basis, of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ordisability in employment or the provision of services.