Texas Children's Hospital
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Staff Pharmacist - Hematology/ Oncology - West Tower (Variable Day & Evening Shift)
at Texas Children's Hospital
- Requisition ID
- Talent Area
- Full/Part Time
- Shift Description
- Full Time / Variable Day & Evening Shift
We are searching for a Staff Pharmacist- Hematology/ Oncology - someone who works well in a fast-paced hospital setting. In this position, you’ll promote excellence in pharmaceutical care through the management of the medication use and safety process, identifying and preventing medication use errors, and resolving any medication use and safety related issues. Additionally performs all duties of a registered pharmacist as defined by the Hospital.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
- Order verification through CPOE, Order entry, order preparation, and medication reconciliation
- Code response, multidisciplinary rounding, therapeutic drug monitoring, patient counseling, and communication center management
- Participates in the creation of presentations/topic discussions
- Understands and follows OBRA ‘90 rules and regulations. Performs profile review and patient counseling as appropriate
- Ensures medications and patient care meet the highest standards
- Ensures the appropriateness of all medication doses in reference to the patient’s diagnosis, weight/body surface area, allergies, and drug interactions as evidenced by a review of medication incidents
- Ensures the medications that patient receives are correct as documented by a review of medication dispensing incidents
- Ensures medication orders/prescriptions are processed and dispensed within established guidelines as evidenced by peer review and absence of medication incident/customer compliant
- Follows aseptic technique and infection control in the preparation of sterile products. Insists technicians and other pharmacists practice aseptic technique and infection control. Completes annual re-certification and scores at least 90% on the aseptic technique/infection control skills and written exam as documented by a qualified observer
- Participates in the education of patients, families, and/or caregivers. Documents education of patient/family or caregivers per procedure
- Participates in daily quality/clinical review of patients profiles to ensure appropriate medication utilization and provides counseling as appropriate
- Participates in the education of pharmacy students as evidenced by student agendas
- Provides immunization and smoking cessation education to the patients’ caregivers under developed physician-pharmacist protocols and documents appropriately evidenced by pharmacy computer system reports
- Checks all means of communication including e-mail and mailbox every shift. Responds to pages and messages within departmental standards
- Participates in hand-off communication as the on-coming and off-going pharmacist including verbal communication and any other established procedures
- Acts as a liaison between the pharmacy, the nurses, and practitioners as evidenced by lack of complaints
- Demonstrates positive and effective interpersonal skills when dealing with patients/families, visitors, peers, and other healthcare team members
- Ensures work environment is clean, neat, and organized according to departmental standards
- Ensures the smooth running of the pharmacy and acts as a role model for technicians and other pharmacists as evidenced by lack of complaints, medication incident reports, and peer review
- Maintains patient confidentiality as documented by lack of complaints and peer review
- Degree in Pharmacy or Pharm. D. Degree
- Current licensure with the Texas State Board of Pharmacy is required
- One year of a PGY1 ASHP-accredited Residency or 1 year experience in a pediatric inpatient hospital pharmacy setting is preferred
- Technical and extensive knowledge of pharmaceuticals
- Knowledge of proper hazardous substances procedures, e.g. cytotoxic agents, chemotherapeutic agents, hydrochloric acid, and isopropyl alcohol
- Knowledge of proper blood or blood derived products procedures, e.g. in response to a code red or in the preparation of immunoglobulins
- Ability to operate equipment used in the preparation of sterile products, e.g. Pinnacle® and Baxa Compounder®
- Ability to operate equipment used in the administration of pain medications to patients, e.g., PCA and epidural pumps
- Incumbent must be able to work under pressure and work closely with others continuously throughout the day
Since 1954, Texas Children’s has been leading the charge in patient care, education and research to accelerate health care for children and women around the world. When you love what you do, it truly shows in the smiles of our patient families, employees and our numerous accolades such as being consistently ranked as the best children’s hospital in Texas, and among the top in the nation by U.S.News & World Report as well as recognition from Houston Business Journal as one of this city’s Best Places to Work for ten consecutive years.
Texas Children’s comprehensive health care network includes our primary hospital in the Texas Medical Center with expertise in over 40 pediatric subspecialties; the Jan and Dan Duncan Neurological Research Institute (NRI); the Feigin Center for pediatric research; Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women, a comprehensive obstetrics/gynecology facility focusing on high-risk births; Texas Children’s Hospital West Campus, a community hospital in suburban West Houston; and Texas Children’s Hospital The Woodlands, the first hospital devoted to children’s care for communities north of Houston. We have also created the nation’s first HMO for children, established the largest pediatric primary care network in the country and a global health program that is channeling care to children and women all over the world. Texas Children’s Hospital is also academically affiliated with Baylor College of Medicine, one of the largest, most diverse and successful pediatric programs in the nation.
To join our community of 14,000+ dedicated team members, visit texaschildrenspeople.org for career opportunities. You can also learn more about our amazing culture at infinitepassion.org.