Texas Children's Hospital
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Pathology Patient Care Technician II, Outpatient - Medical Center (Multiple Shifts)
at Texas Children's Hospital
- Shift Description
- Multiple Shifts Available
We are searching for a Phlebotomy Patient Care Technician II — someone who works well in a fast-paced setting. In this position, you'll perform phlebotomy for inpatients and outpatients.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
- Adheres to hospital and departmental patient identification policies by ensuring to check that the two patient identifiers match on the patient’s armband, the labels, and requisition prior to performing phlebotomy
- Performs venipuncture, fingerstick, and heelstick phlebotomy procedures including; blood cultures, newborn screens, d-xylose and glucose tolerances, etc. as written in the Central Receiving and Processing manual
- Adheres to all applicable safety policies, including but not limited to changing gloves between patients, good hand hygiene technique, containment of spills and splatters, and proper disposal of lancets, needles, and other contaminated supplies
- Greets parents and patients promptly and courteously; values customers and gives customer full attentions
- Demonstrates theoretical and practical knowledge of the procedures and equipment; maintains skills and demonstrates competency via performance, documentation, and observation by supervisory staff
- Performs and participates in proficiency testing programs to validate competency as required
- Investigates complaints and troubleshoots instrumentation and process problems; recommends and assists in the implementation of new procedures and protocols
- High school diploma or equivalent
- A minimum of twelve (12) months phlebotomist experience
- Knowledge of routine laboratory operations and medical terminology
- Ability to operate a PC and general office equipment
- Ability to use a centrifuge, pneumatic tube system, and sphygmomanometer
- Demonstrates good phlebotomy and excellent customer service skills
Since 1954, Texas Children’s has been leading the charge in patient care, education and research to accelerate health care for children and women around the world. When you love what you do, it truly shows in the smiles of our patient families, employees and our numerous accolades such as being consistently ranked as the best children’s hospital in Texas, and among the top in the nation by U.S.News & World Report as well as recognition from Houston Business Journal as one of this city’s Best Places to Work for ten consecutive years.
Texas Children’s comprehensive health care network includes our primary hospital in the Texas Medical Center with expertise in over 40 pediatric subspecialties; the Jan and Dan Duncan Neurological Research Institute (NRI); the Feigin Center for pediatric research; Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women, a comprehensive obstetrics/gynecology facility focusing on high-risk births; Texas Children’s Hospital West Campus, a community hospital in suburban West Houston; and Texas Children’s Hospital The Woodlands, a second community hospital opening in 2017. We have also created the nation’s first HMO for children, established the largest pediatric primary care network in the country and a global health program that is channeling care to children and women all over the world. Texas Children’s Hospital is also academically affiliated with Baylor College of Medicine, one of the largest, most diverse and successful pediatric programs in the nation.
To join our community of 13,000 dedicated team members, visit texaschildrenspeople.org for career opportunities. You can also learn more about our amazing culture at infinitepassion.org.