Texas Children's Hospital
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Medical Technologist - Microbiology - Medical Center (7:30a - 4p)
at Texas Children's Hospital
- Requisition ID
- Lab - Microbiology
- Talent Area
- Full/Part Time
- Shift Description
- 7:30a - 4p / Full Time / Variable Weekend Rotation
We are searching for a Medical Technologist - Microbiology – someone who works well in a fast-paced setting. In this position, you’ll perform routine and special procedures to obtain data and/or prepare products for the diagnosis and treatment of disease and the provision of quality patient care.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
- Determine the suitability of specimens and orders by verifying patient demographic information and receipt documentation, as well as recognize and troubleshoot erroneous orders
- Organize and prioritize the workload so that services are provided as needed by the medical staff
- Perform routine and special procedures accurately, evaluate the results for correctness, and recognize abnormal test results and use problem-solving procedures in a timely manner
- Respond to emergency situations and STATs quickly and work collaboratively with your team
- Communicate any quality control problems as they occur and maintain proper documentation along the way
- Order supplies as needed to maintain set inventory levels and complete patient orders
- Determine the suitability of supplies from receipt to final disposition and handle unsuitable supplies
- Perform and document quality control procedures and instrument regular maintenance
- Record the temperature and function of refrigerators and freezers
- Participate in continuing education and in-service programs by attending section meetings, workshops, vendor-sponsored workshops, and seminars
- Train new employees and other staff
- Perform the assignments of “in-charge” technologist in the absence of the supervisor or technical specialist
- Analyze specimens in proficiency testing programs to validate procedural competencies by obtaining accurate results
- Bachelor’s degree in medical technology, laboratory science, chemical, physical, or biology science required
- MT-STATE, MT-AAB, MT-AMT, CLSP, IMLS, BB-ASCP, C-ASCP, H-ASCP, MLS-ASCP, MT-ASCP, M-ASCP, MB-ASCP, or MP-ASCP license required
- Ability to operate a PC, cell washers, blood analyzers, gamma cell irradiator, microscopes, centrifuges, water baths, and agglutination viewers
Since 1954, Texas Children’s has been leading the charge in patient care, education and research to accelerate health care for children and women around the world. When you love what you do, it truly shows in the smiles of our patient families, employees and our numerous accolades such as being consistently ranked as the best children’s hospital in Texas, and among the top in the nation by U.S.News & World Report as well as recognition from Houston Business Journal as one of this city’s Best Places to Work for ten consecutive years.
Texas Children’s comprehensive health care network includes our primary hospital in the Texas Medical Center with expertise in over 40 pediatric subspecialties; the Jan and Dan Duncan Neurological Research Institute (NRI); the Feigin Center for pediatric research; Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women, a comprehensive obstetrics/gynecology facility focusing on high-risk births; Texas Children’s Hospital West Campus, a community hospital in suburban West Houston; and Texas Children’s Hospital The Woodlands, the first hospital devoted to children’s care for communities north of Houston. We have also created the nation’s first HMO for children, established the largest pediatric primary care network in the country and a global health program that is channeling care to children and women all over the world. Texas Children’s Hospital is also academically affiliated with Baylor College of Medicine, one of the largest, most diverse and successful pediatric programs in the nation.
To join our community of 14,000+ dedicated team members, visit texaschildrenspeople.org for career opportunities. You can also learn more about our amazing culture at infinitepassion.org.