Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Lead Welding Inspector
at T.D. Williamson
- Position ID
- United States
Under the supervision of Welding Services Manager, directs and performs day-to-day welding inspection activities. Witnesses performance testing, procedure qualification records, welding mock-ups and production welds. Also, coordinates with customer inspector and provides source inspection for the subcontracted orders involving welding.
Weld Inspection (40%)
- Performs welding inspection activities and coordinates with other inspectors (including Owner Inspectors and Authorized Inspectors) and NDE technicians;
- Ensures that only qualified and designated welding procedure specifications and installation procedures are used;
- Performs visual inspection of run pipe, fittings and welds for compliance to the relevant construction code, WPS and installation procedure requirements;
- Performs dimensional checks on completed welds and ensure compliance with approved drawings;
- Performs PMI and/or spark testing of run pipe and fittings to verify chemistry and/or carbon equivalent (CE) of run pipe and fittings;
- Inspects received materials for compliance to purchase orders and reviews material test reports (MTR’s) and mill certificates to ensure they match the markings on the materials;
- Witnesses activities (welding, pressure testing, hot tapping, etc.), completes reports and reviews documentation as required and signs off on documents and ITP line items on behalf of TDW as they are completed. Writes up non-conformance reports (NCR’s) as required and assist with determining root cause of errors and completing corrective and preventive actions (CAPA’s);
- Requests the necessary non-destructive examination (NDE) and destructive testing work as required on a per job basis using approved TDW vendors;
- Works autonomously within established procedures and practices
Quality Control Documentation (20%)
- Reviews, compiles and copies turnover packages and submits to the customer at the end of each project;
- Verifies and documents compliance with welding and installation procedures on a per job basis (including performing parameter checks with calibrated equipment, checking fit-ups, preheat and interpass temperature maintenance, performing EWI cooling rate testing, etc.);
- Reviews NDE reports for completeness, accuracy and acceptance in accordance with the requirements of the project;
- Ensures inspection test plans (ITP’s) are followed and all hold/witness/review points are adhered to and all required signatures obtained;
- Regularly serves as team lead, may allocate work and provide subject matter guidance to more junior team members
Business Expertise (10%)
- Strong understanding of how related teams coordinate their efforts and resources to achieve objectives and influence business results
- Responsible for project management as assigned including project costing, filling out daily LEM sheets, etc.;
- Reviews welder performance qualification records and ensure welders are qualified for the work being performed on a per job basis;
- Obtains and reviews certifications of NDE technicians to ensure they are appropriately certified for the work they are performing;
- Reviews purchase orders to ensure materials ordered are in compliance with drawing specifications;
- Participates in job hazard assessments (JHA’s) and complies with all TDW and customer safety requirements.
- Participates and occasionally leads weekly and/or monthly safety meetings.
- 10+ years of pressurized piping experience,
- AWS Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) is required
- API 1169 certification is preferred
- API 1104, ASME B31.4, B31.8 & B31.3 and ASME Section VIII & IX code endorsements preferred.
- Must be able to pass required vision examination
- Must be able to read & interpret engineering drawings, standards and specifications.
- Good understanding of personal computers, with the ability to utilize Microsoft Word and Excel software.
- Ability to prepare visual inspection reports and to communicate well with others.
- Familiar with shop and field tolerance limits.
- Plant/Facility experience required, particularly compiling turnover packages;
- Pipeline experience an asset.
- In-service welding and/or hot tapping experience an asset.
- Team spirit, ability to work autonomously and sense of urgency,
- Good communication & organization skills,
- Basic knowledge in Windows (Word, Excel, Access),
- Willing to travel frequently