Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Accountant in Houston, TX at Star Furniture
at Star Furniture
Job Summary: This entry level position is involved in several areas including account reconciliations, preparing journal entries, assisting in accounts payable and accounts receivable functions, preparation of various monthly summaries and analyses, assist with various government filings including sales tax returns, 1099’s, census information and any other projects or duties necessary in the accounting area. The ideal candidate will interact with personnel in all areas and levels of the company including executive management, complete projects independently, and must be willing to take on increasing levels of responsibility as needed.
Reports To: Senior Accounting Manager
- Numerous monthly reconciliations and general ledger entries
- Assist with all phases of monthly financial statement generation
- Analysis of variances between actual financial results and budget
- Preparation of numerous monthly summaries, spreadsheets and charts utilizing Excel and Access
- Accounting for fixed assets
- Assist in processing accounts payable and accounts receivable as needed
- Financial analysis projects as assigned
- Coordinate annual unclaimed property filing
- Monthly sales tax return, sales tax exemption reviews and refunds
- Any other project or duties as assigned
Education & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field is highly preferred. Equivalent accounting experience in lieu of completed degree will be considered
- At least one year of experience in Accounting/Finance.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel including pivot tables, charts and V-lookups
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, as this person will regularly communicate with representatives from all areas and levels of the company
- Strong aptitude for technology and software use
- Organized, detail oriented, problem solver
- Good aptitude for software and technology
- Attention to detail
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills
Supervisory Responsibility: None.
This position operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, tablets and other office equipment. This position may require some travel to outlying store locations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and/or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms.
Position Type / Expected Hours of Work:
Given the nature of the position, there may be occasions that extra hours and work on the weekends may be required. Since we close financials of the last day of each month, vacations generally cannot be taken during the first 5-10 days of any month. Due to year end and quarter closing requirements, vacations cannot be taken in January and the first two weeks of April, July and October, without prior approval by the Controller.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive base salary
- Health, Dental, Vision insurance coverage
- Generous associate discount
Job Location: 16666 Barker Springs Road, Houston, TX 77084