St. Joseph Medical Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Registered Nurse (RN) - Operating Room (OR); FT (4 days/ a week; 4'10s)
at St. Joseph Medical Center
Serves as a patient advocate for individuals prior to and during anesthesia. Provides care to all age groups ΓÇô neonates through elderly.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assesses Operating Room readiness, table positioning, supplies and supply availability and equipment readiness for a variety of procedures
- Develops the patientΓÇÖs plan of care and monitors treatment in the operative environment. This includes practice of aseptic technique and maintenance of sterile fields as well as correction of breaks in technique for any of the team members.
- Verifies contact information with family: name, cell number, where they will be waiting i.e. waiting room, plastic, home or work. This will be done prior to taking patient to the OR.
- Updates family every two hours on the patient status. Call family approximately 10 minutes prior to case ending to let family know to return to waiting area or conference room so surgeon can speak with them. If the family member is not available, give the family contact card to the surgeon.
- Manages patient safety by implementing operative policy and procedures including patient identification, site verification, positioning and counting of sponges, instruments and sharps. Takes action to correct deficiencies.
- Holds self, physicians and other team members accountable for safe patient practices and environment.
- Participates as assigned in Operative Services on-call schedule and arrives on site within 45 minutes. (Not applicable to Float Pool staff).
SCOPE OF CARE:
Surgical Services provides surgical intervention in specialty areas of General, Orthopedics, Cardiovascular, Cardiothoracic, Spine, Neurosurgery, Ophthalmology, Urologic, Otolaryngology, Plastic and Reconstructive, Oncology, Podiatry, Pediatric, Laser, Gynecologic and Obstetric surgery. Additional medical specialties include Endoscopy, Bronchoscopy and pain management. The services provided are for both outpatient and inpatient populations.
The clinical areas include Pre-admission Testing, Day Surgery (Pre-op and Phase II Recovery), OR, PACU (Phase I Recovery) and ENDO.
Main Operation Room is open from 0630 until 1900, with 12 rooms 7A-3P, 6 rooms 3P-5P, 2 rooms at 5P-7P. At 7P we can run x2 rooms with "On Call" to address high volume needs and emergencies.
On Weekends and Holidays the department is open for any urgent/emergency cases. We can run x2 rooms at same time, 7A-7P.
Two years experience in surgical services, with at least in two area of specialties.
- Current RN permit or licensure issued by the Board of Nurse Examiners of the State of
to practice professional nursing. Texas
- Current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider certification required.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification is required.
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) is required.
Education & Training
Completion of an accredited school of nursing program resulting in an Associate Degree, Diploma or Baccalaureate degree in nursing.
- Technical, clerical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills relevant to total patient care/area in order to safely and efficiently treat patients.
- Good verbal and written communication skills necessary in order to be clearly and easily understood by patients, families and members of the Health Care team.
- Writes/prints legibly in order to document accurately and understandably, and to provide direction to support staff and others.
- Demonstrates a pleasant, helpful and caring demeanor in order to be an effective patient advocate.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER MINORITIES / WOMEN / VETERANS / DISABLED