St. Joseph Medical Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Lab Assistant -Weekender; 7p-7a-Night Shift
at St. Joseph Medical Center
Performs clerical and technical functions to ensure smooth workflow of the department such as processing specimens, sending specimens to reference labs, and giving results to physicians and/or nurses. Assesses integrity, appropriateness, and labeling of specimens. Corrects or informs appropriate personnel of issues. Maintains adequate supplies and performs clerical functions such as faxing, filing, using the LIS and HIS systems, answering telephone, etc. Operates/maintains equipment in designated area. In some areas, may be required to perform specialized duties such as issuing blood, collecting blood, setting up testing procedures, verifying insurance, or assisting with autopsies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Consistently supports the hospital’s Spirit of Serving Standards, in line with the Mission, Vision and values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
- Follows the guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
- Assesses integrity, appropriateness, and labeling of specimens. Corrects or informs appropriate personnel of issues.
- Performs clerical functions such as faxing, filing, reviewing orders, using the LIS and HIS systems, and answering telephones.
6. Operates/maintains equipment in assigned area such as centrifuges, pneumatic tubes, pre-analytic
7. Accessions specimens into computer in a timely manner.
8. Depending on section of the Laboratory:
- Collects blood samples following established procedures and aseptic techniques.
- Sets up specimens for testing, inoculates microbiology plates, performs preliminary phase of some testing.
- Verify insurance and diagnosis code
- Issues blood and components to nursing personnel.
- Processes specimens, and routes out to appropriate workstation.
- Processes specimens to be sent out to reference labs.
- Performs order entry for various types of specimens and processes admissions for different patient types, ie. insurance, contract and self-pay.
- Assists with the processing of blood products, reviews orders, issues blood components.
- Responsible for the accessioning and processing GYN and Non-GYN specimens/smears, as outlined
in the guidelines section of the cytology manual. Troubleshoots and corrects any problems.
- Runs control to ensure staining is satisfactory for Pathologist to review and interpret. Brings problems to attention of the Histology Coordinator. Troubleshoots and corrects any problems appropriately.
- Prepares laboratory solutions and reagents according to established procedures and precise formulae, an order to maintain adequate quantities to carry out assignments.
- Performs clerical functions such as faxing, filing, order review, obtaining/adding information from/to computer, answering telephones to give out information, placing direct calls and/or receiving information.
- Maintains equipment by performing routine maintenance, troubleshooting, cleaning and adjustment.
- Catalogues and files slides and blocks, and maintains records of activities performed.
9. Participates in Performance Improvement activities by participating in PI groups and gives input to enhance and improve operations.
- Communicates/liaisons appropriately with health care providers to resolve problems (ie. inappropriate specimens, update status of specimens and to dialog to ensure proper usage of pneumatic tube).
- Assists with orientation and training of personnel.
- Maintains and monitors supplies and material management system.
- Communicates responsibly to the Manager/Supervisor any issues or concerns.
- Supportive of the compliance program set forth by IASIS and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the IASIS Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Compliance & Safety Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
- Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.