St. Joseph Medical Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Chief Operating Officer
at St. Joseph Medical Center
Reporting to the Hospital President, the Chief Operating Officer (COO) is responsible for leading and managing a comprehensive array of services and programs for the company. COO is responsible for all operational issues, including ensuring the organization is focused on safety and clinical results; building a strong service culture and getting results; and producing strong financial results. The COO works directly with the Hospital President to execute company mission, vision and values. COO will review on an ongoing basis services being offered and develop new programs as needs emerge and growth demands. This position is responsible for all activities pertaining to clinical functions, quality and compliance, and clinical direct marketing efforts. The COO will inform the Hospital President of all program issues and accomplishments and will provide summary reporting to the Board of Directors. The COO will partner with the leadership and management team and will also be responsible for all program planning, organizing, operating, and staffing of the areas supervised. The COO is responsible for developing, implementing, and managing the program aspects of the annual budget in conjunction with the Chief Financial Officer and Hospital President. The COO is responsible for ensuring that all services are in compliance with all federal, state, and funding, regulations, certifications, and licensing requirements. The COO will be prepared to assume the duties and responsibilities of the Hospital President when the Hospital President is absent or unavailable.
- Responsible for the management of clinical operations, quality and compliance.
- Provides effective and inspiring leadership as well as stewardship by being actively involved in all programs and services. Implements and leads a continuous quality improvement process throughout the areas supervised, focusing on systems/process improvement. Promotes regular and ongoing opportunities for all staff to give feedback on program operations and initiatives.
- Develops strategies and initiatives to benefit growth in a changing health care services environment.
- Oversees all quality assurance programs and the maintenance and development of revenue streams.
- Provides day-to-day leadership and management of both business and clinical operations that mirrors the mission and core values of the organization.
- Provides the leadership, management and vision necessary to ensure that the organization has the proper operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and people systems in place to effectively grow the organization to ensure operating efficiency.
- Demonstrates integrity, strives for excellence in his/her work and has experience leading others to new levels of effectiveness and programmatic impact.
- Responsible for the coordination and delivery of high quality, efficient care for patients and families. Promotes and fosters an interdisciplinary approach to family-focused patient care and strong relationships with community providers.
- Provides integrated team process leadership for leadership team members in representing areas of responsibility.
- Skillfully presents information to the Board of Directors and maintains positive relationships with community members and referral sources.
- Partners with the Hospital President to represent Steward with external constituency groups, including community, government, and private organizations.
- Build an effective and caring staff organization.
- Develops short and long term goals/objectives and strategic plans and approaches to accomplish them.
- Responsible for the measurement and effectiveness of all internal and external processes.
- Provides timely, accurate and complete reports on the operating condition of the company.
- Oversees and coordinates financial operations with the CFO.
- Ensures that all program activities in areas supervised operate consistently and ethically within the mission and values of the organization.
- Reviews, negotiates and approves all contracts in conjunction with CFO and Hospital President.
- Fosters and monitors collaboration with senior management team.
- Attracts, recruits and retains required members of the team; provide mentoring to meet the leadership needs of this growing organization.
- Leads and coordinates the research, planning, design, implementation and evaluation of significant projects and organizational change efforts.
Other Job Functions:
- Shares expertise with others through in-service and collaboration.
- Works with diverse social and economic situations without imposing own values; maintains appropriate professional boundaries.
- Demonstrates understanding of team approach and communication.
- Contributes to positive atmosphere; demonstrates positive interactions with internal and external customers.
- Demonstrates ability to lead and be a productive member of a high performing team.
- Provides timely and appropriate response to internal and external customer needs.
- Participates in meetings, quality assurance and program improvement activities as required and necessary.
- Offers suggestions to improve policies, procedures, and services in appropriate manner and time.
- Demonstrates understanding of HIPAA Privacy Standards and related Agency policies.
- Demonstrates understanding and compliance with agency policies, including but not limited to, documentation, continuing education, attendance/work schedules and required Human Resources documentation, State and Federal policies and procedures, laws and regulations.
- Attends agency functions as needed outside of office hours.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SKILL OR EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- At least 15 years of progressively responsible experience in health care management, preferable 5 years at the executive leadership level.
- Superior ability to build relationships both internal and external to the organization with the ability to develop an organization-wide strategy for program excellence.
- Partners with the Hospital President in engaging community members and maintaining positive relationships and communication pathways with the Board of Directors.
- Possesses: Superior oral and written communication skills, excellent strategic planning abilities, superior team building and employee relations skills and a passion for the work of hospital services, excellent public speaking and teaching skills, a history of inspirational leadership and ethics driven decision making, an engaging style of relating that puts people at ease and encourages open communication, proven track record of systems development and integration into work flow, including the ability to point to tangible examples of reporting and program measurement and evaluation.
- Statistical analysis skills and the ability to report and communicate complex statistical concepts and clearly relate them to operations outcomes, and skilled with multiple computer software programs.
- Productive history developing and managing financial and operational goals and objectives.
- Track record of developing and managing a high performing staff.
EDUCATION OR SPECIFIC TRAINING REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Healthcare Management or equivalent
- Master’s degree preferred
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled