Smith Seckman Reid, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Building Performance Engineer
at Smith Seckman Reid, Inc.
# of openings:
A leading comprehensive engineering design and consulting firm, SSR provides innovative solutions for clients with facility and infrastructure challenges. To achieve client needs, SSR has multiple locations across the US. Working with a diverse group of individuals in a variety of markets, our team of experts partner with our clients to deliver advanced solutions that last.
SSR is committed to providing opportunities and benefits to colleagues that promote living fully. Through various competitive benefits and programs available, SSR supports the health, well-being, and personal growth of its employees. SSR offers benefit options including medical, dental, and vision coverage, a generous contribution to employee-owned Health Savings Account, 401(k) with matching up to the full IRS maximum, tuition reimbursement, and a variety of other employee incentives and wellness programs. SSR is a 2019 A/E/C Building a Better World Award Winner which recognizes our commitment to community outreach and improvement.
We feel that SSR is a great place, but don’t take our word for it, See what our colleagues are saying at www.ssr-inc.com/life-at-ssr .
Why Choose SSR? Look at our Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn pages to discover more.
We are Certified "Great Place to Work" http://www.greatplacetowork.com/certified-company/1001559
Looking for a Building Performance Engineer
Location flexible to SSR regional offices for the right candidate: Nashville (HQ), Denver, Houston, Dallas, Sarasota, Memphis, Chicago
The Building Performance Engineer contributes to sustainability consulting efforts on high performance building design projects. The Building Performance Engineer will manage individually assigned projects, maintain client relationships, and collaborate with team members on other projects. This position is for a candidate who is passionate about high performance and sustainable buildings. The candidate must enjoy and have extensive experience with energy modeling for buildings.
- Collaborates closely with architects and other project team members during design/construction meetings to develop potential energy conservation measures
- Analyzes, reviews, and/or consults on energy-related systems found in architectural, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing drawings and specifications
- Develops building energy models and cost-benefit analyses to aid in high performance design and to assess compliance with LEED rating systems, energy codes, and utility incentives
- Clearly communicates analysis results to project teams in written, graphical, and presentation format
- Conducts building energy audits/assessments, including development of energy savings and cost estimates for energy conservation measures
- Regularly reviews industry trends, code and policy updates/addendums
- Actively attends internal and external training and other educational opportunities to obtain knowledge in necessary technical areas
- Shares lessons learned and drives innovation in internal tools, processes, and practices
- Manages individually assigned projects by monitoring the budget and schedule as well as maintaining communication to ensure the project is completed successfully
- Assists in procurement and pursuit of new work and new clients; maintains existing client relationships
- Assists with calculations to document various credits in the LEED rating systems
- Provides comments and technical reports on LEED projects and sustainability goals to design teams, clients, and/or contractors
- Attends project meetings, client meetings, and occasional site visits to monitor progress and coordinate project requirements
- Performs QA/QC on LEED documentation to ensure consistency and quality throughout the team
- Assists management in the training of less experienced colleagues on LEED documentation and processes
Qualified candidates shall have:
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering
- 3+ years of design consulting experience with focus on HVAC design and energy modeling
- Submission of energy models to the GBCI for at least five (5) LEED projects
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and strong inter-personal skills
- Strong experience with energy modeling software such as IESVE, Trane TRACE, eQUEST, or similar software
- Knowledge of building science, energy systems and controls, and the ability to develop strategies to reduce energy consumption
- Knowledge of standards, codes, and rating systems associated with sustainability and energy performance
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Willingness to travel up to 20% of the time
- Ability to effectively prioritize multiple, simultaneous projects
Ideal candidates should also have:
- Accreditation as a LEED AP
- Professional Engineer Licensure (or working towards)
- ASHRAE BEMP certification
- Working knowledge of computer-aided design tools (e.g. Revit)
- Experience with programming VBA or Python
- Experience with CFD (e.g. MicroFlo, OpenFOAM/SimFlo, CONTAM)
- Experience writing, reviewing, and presenting client project proposals
SSR is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
Our mission is to make a positive difference for our clients, colleagues, and communities.