Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Teacher, AVID Middle School
at Sheldon ISD
This position is the 2019-2020 school year.
- Bachelor's Degree from accredited university; Master's preferred
- Texas Certified Secondary Teacher or in an Alternative Certification Program and eligible to be hired.
- Demonstrated competency in the core academic subject area assigned
- Knowledge of AVID methodologies
- Knowledge of core academic subject assigned
- General knowledge of curriculum and instruction
- Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior
- Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated success with the targeted early college standards, as well as college entrance and placement exams
- Pre-Advanced Placement, Advanced Placement experience preferred
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Flexibility, patience and perseverance
- Willingness and ability to progress with a cohort and teach the same subject area at subsequent grade levels
The AVID elective teacher voluntarily supports the mission of AVID and participates in the AVID elective program:
- Fosters collaborative problem solving among students and colleagues
- Demonstrates effective classroom management and organizational skills
- Serves as a student advocate and a proponent of equitable access to rigorous curriculum and programs
- Provides social and academic support for students
- Commits to personal and professional growth
- Spends extra time outside the classroom setting to ensure the success of the AVID system schoolwide
- Has or is willing to develop leadership roles on campus.
- Mentors AVID students.
- Promotes the AVID strategies and methodologies across grade levels, content areas and schoolwide
AVID elective teacher responsibilities include:
- Implementation of the AVID curriculum
- On-going monitoring of AVID students' progress
- Training, coaching and debriefing the tutorial process with tutors and students
- Collecting and analyzing AVID data and documentation of the AVID system
- Participation in all AVID elective teacher and Site Team meetings
- Assistance with and participation in AVID functions (e.g. parent meetings, AVID field trips, tutor recruitment, student recruitment/selection, and staff development)
- Encouraging parent attendance at family workshops
- Involving students in planning and presenting at family workshops
- Dissemination of college field trip information to students and parents
- Participation in college field trips.
Contacting and organizing guest speakers
Attending AVID professional development, including Summer Institutes
This position works a 187 day calendar.
Job Contact Information
Tuesday, June 4, 2019 12:00 AM
(Central Standard Time)