Service Corporation International
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
2020 Mortuary Science Scholarship Program
at Service Corporation International
- Associate Requisition ID
- 2020 Scholarship Program
- # of Openings
- Category (Portal Searching)
- Funeral Director - Embalmer
Overview & Responsibilities
Click “Apply for this Scholarship” to create your account. Please be sure to remember your user-name and password as you will be permitted to save your progress and return to your application.
Qualified applicants must meet the below criteria:
- Be enrolled in a college or university program which has received accreditation from the American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE)
- Enrolled at the time of the scholarship deadline
- Cannot be a former recipient of the SCI Mortuary Science scholarship
If chosen as a finalist, applicant must also be enrolled at the time of the scholarship event in April 2020.
Requirements & Qualifications
The application process includes an essay, open ended questions and video submission. An official transcript is also required.
Write a 200-250 word personal statement describing (pick one of the following)
- Who do you consider a role model? Why is their influence important to you?
- We all have goals. Explain what yours are and what steps you have taken to achieve them.
- What is a personal characteristic that sets you apart from other scholarship applicants?
Videotape responses to the three below required questions. Your entire video, answering all 3 questions should be at least 3 minutes but no more than 5 minutes in length.
Question #1: What strengths make you most effective as a mortuary student and how do you plan to utilize them in a professional career?
Question #2: The funeral profession continues to evolve while supporting many traditions and religious backgrounds. What emerging trends do you see that will change the future of our profession? How would you adapt?
Question #3: Many individuals have lost a loved one which shaped them in some way. What other life experiences have you encountered that prepared you for the funeral profession.
Tips for filming your video:
- Before uploading your video, review for adequate lighting, volume, absence of background noises and overall quality.
- Get started on your video well in advance of the application deadline.
- Introduce yourself and identify the mortuary science school you are enrolled in and are currently attending.
- Partner with a professor, family member or friend to produce your video message.
- While filming, use a tripod for stability or position your camera on a hard surface.
- When answering a question, restate the question in your answer so those viewing are clear about your topic.
- While practicing your answers, practice it out loud, noticing your body posture, facial expressions and tone of voice.
- Be sure your makeup, wardrobe, hair, and setting are consistent with your message.
- Do not discuss, with other students who may be applying to the scholarship, the content of your video or application responses.
- When uploading your video to You-Tube be sure to make it "unlisted", so only those you share the link with can view. Instructions on making your video Unlisted can be found here, http://bit.ly/brnPvB
Secure a copy and upload your most recent official transcript with your cumulative grade point average. If you are a newly enrolled student and have not received a transcript with your grades, please attach the last official transcript from your previous school. It is also recommended that you request a copy of your official transcript at least 3 weeks prior to the application deadline.
Once your official transcript is available, email it to Campus.Relations@sci-us.com by January 22, 2020 to have it added to your application.
Before clicking SUBMIT, ensure you have successfully completed your application and uploaded your personal statement, official transcript, resume (if applicable), and the URL to your uploaded video.
Who we are. What we do.
We’re more than North America’s largest provider of funeral, cremation and cemetery services. We are mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons and daughters who are devoted to the communities where we live and work. We are more than 20,000 dedicated individuals who provide caring assistance to families in need, honor veterans and public servants and deliver lifesaving programs to help keep children and seniors safe.
We operate under the umbrella of the Dignity Memorial network of 1,800 funeral homes and cemeteries. Dignity Memorial providers care for more than 300,000 families each year and understand the importance of thoughtful, personalized arrangements. We believe creating meaningful ways to pay tribute to a loved one begins with compassion and is shaped by the understanding that each life is truly unique. For us, there is no greater responsibility than honoring and preserving the story of one’s life.
SCI offers advanced on-line training resources, career advancement opportunities in the largest organization in the industry, attractive benefits, and a wonderful community to serve with plenty of culture and personality. For additional information regarding our company, please visit our corporate site at www.sci-corp.com.
As used herein, “SCI” refers to Service Corporation International and its affiliated companies.
Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V