Sargent & Lundy LLC
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Protection and Control Commissioning Specialist
at Sargent & Lundy LLC
- United States
- Area of Interest
- Full Time - Regular
- Job ID
Sargent & Lundy is one of the most experienced full-service architect-engineering firms in the world. Founded in 1891, the firm is a global leader in power and energy with expertise in grid modernization, renewable energy, energy storage, nuclear power, and fossil fuels. Sargent & Lundy delivers comprehensive project services—from consulting, design and implementation to construction management, commissioning and operations/maintenance—with an emphasis on quality and safety. The firm serves public and private sector clients in the power and energy, gas distribution, industrial, and government sectors.
Sargent & Lundy's Core Values
We are a company of principled professionals guided by core values that have fundamentally shaped our business practices and culture. They provide us with guidance in the day-to-day performance of our work, and adherence to these values is our compass in all business conduct:
- Exercise uncompromising integrity and ethics in the conduct of all business
- Focus on client satisfaction in all activities
- Maintain a highly competent and satisfied staff
- Communicate openly and honestly
- Improve continuously
Protection & Control Commissioning Specialists are responsible for coordinating and monitoring work connected with the testing and commissioning of electrical transmission substations (brownfield, greenfield, air and gas-insulated).
Responsibilities may include the following:
- Oversight of project specific testing activities
- Provide interface between testing contractors/subcontractors and client
- Create project specific testing and commissioning plans
- Create project specific site work plans
- Review of test data to client standards and review of in-service test data (load flow verification)
- Monitor protective relay testing and review of relay settings
- Monitor functional testing in accordance with the three-line current and potential and schematic diagrams
- Monitor and review of testing of SCADA and communication systems
- Troubleshoot issues that arise during testing activities
Dependent upon your location, this opportunity offers a generous relocation package.
Essential skills and experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, or equivalent experience
- 5 or more years of experience in commissioning and startup for high voltage substations
- Ability and willingness to travel 75-100% of the time within the United States
- Knowledge of testing, commissioning, maintenance, and power system theory including HV substation and line protection
- Familiarity with microprocessor protection relays used in electric utility substations. Should have a knowledge of relays from ABB, AREVA, Siemens, GE, SEL, etc.
- Ability to read and understand AC and DC Schematic Diagrams and Wiring Diagrams for electric utility substations. This includes schematics and wiring diagrams for transmission line protection, transformer protection, bus differential protection, breaker failure protection, etc.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications
- Excellent management and supervisory skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of the following equipment: Circuit Breakers (LV/MV/HV), Transformers, Switchgear, Motors, PT's, CCVT's
- Experience with the following test equipment: Power Factor, Ductor, Megger, CT ration & saturation, Hi-Pot
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- PE license
Sargent & Lundy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any protected status as defined by law.