S & B Engineers and Constructors, Ltd.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Project Controls - Lead Cost Specialist - Houston, TX
at S & B Engineers and Constructors, Ltd.
- Hiring Location: Company
- S&B Engineers and Constructors, Ltd.
- Job ID
Acts as Lead Project Controls Engineer for developing and monitoring critical path plans and related schedules and for monitoring cost for projects of moderate size and complexity. The employee must be fully competent in all conventional phases of cost engineering, planning and scheduling and be capable of planning and conducting tasks requiring independent judgement in the evaluation, selection and substantial adaptation and modification of standard cost engineering, planning and scheduling techniques, procedures and criteria.
Plans, schedules, coordinates and oversees the work of all Project Controls activities at the project level.
Normally requires a four-year technical degree.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Normally requires a four-year technical degree and typically 10-15 years' related experience (or equivalent working knowledge/experience). Certification is normally required at this level.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analyzes and interprets complex sections of project scope document to define cost parameters.
- Collaborates with Project Engineers, Project Managers and clients to review the preliminary cost estimate and select appropriate design alternatives.
- Supervises the preparation of project estimates and budgets and subsequent estimate/budget updates for all design and/or construction activities.
- Oversees the integration of project estimate and schedule for forecasting cash flow requirements.
- Reviews trend analyses, budget updates and recommendations for corrective action to assure compliance with company and client requirements.
- Develops methods and procedures to be used for predicting escalation rates.
- Performs risk analysis, assessing contingency requirements and develops contingency percentages.
- Reviews and/or prepares various cost control/performance measurement reports, forecasts and special studies.
- Supervises and/or participates in claims analyses and negotiations.
- Performs complex economic/financial evaluations.
- Participates in value engineering analyses, productivity evaluations and other similar studies.
- Advises project management of cost impact of proposed design or construction changes.
- Advises clients of cost trends and their effects on anticipated project expenditures.
- Participates in proposal preparation and client presentations.
- Establishes methodologies and supervises life cycle cost analyses, economic/financial evaluations, productivity evaluations and value engineering analyses.
- Provides evaluations, development and training consulting services to clients in all areas of cost engineering, cost management and project controls.
- Supervises independent third-party cost/schedule evaluations.
- Analyzes and interprets data submitted by project engineers, contractors and vendors to develop logic for the overall project plan.
- Determines methods and techniques to be used for specific schedules.
- Participates in the preparation of complex phases of the Project Milestone Schedule, Engineering and Construction Summary Bar Chart and Master Project Schedule.
- Reviews systems and equipment lists and network diagrams for all segments of the project.
- Supervises the conversion of network logic into proper form for adaptation to CPM programs.
- Oversees the preparation of schedule data for input into computerized project controls systems.
- Obtains data on project progress, logic and manpower from lead project, contractor or client personnel.
- Reviews analyses submitted by subordinate personnel to identify potential problem areas, submitting recommendations for corrective action to Project Manager for inclusion in monthly project status reports.
- Analyzes estimated quantities, man-hours and cost data for all segments of work in support of project plan development and the performance measurement system.
- Oversees the monitoring and updating of short-cycle schedules and ensures that schedule conflicts are resolved.
- Reviews short-cycle schedule impacts and prepares CPM (Critical Path Method) schedule analysis.
- Oversees the collection of historical engineering, procurement and construction data for reporting and predicting project trends.
- Prepares the Schedule Analysis Report to identify impact of progress and/or scope change on previously scheduled target dates.
- Prepares the Performance Measurement Summary to evaluate the utilization of actual man-hours versus budget.
- Conducts schedule review meetings to discuss project status and to assist in developing alternatives to accommodate changes in priorities.
- Recommends adjustments to manpower requirements and rearranges work plans to optimize utilization of resources.
- Ensure that all internal and client procedures and objectives are followed, reviewing any deviations with the Project Controls Manager.
Ability to read and write in the English language.
Basic mathematical skills required.
May require occasional field trips or assignments to plants. This requires the ability to stand, walk, reach, climb and balance. It also requires clear, close and distance vision, depth perception and the ability to focus.
Most work is conducted in a professinal business setting. Occasional field trips or assignments to the field will require exposure to outdoor weather conditions, loud noise, working near moving mechanical parts, vibration, fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals and airborne particles.