Occidental Petroleum Corporation
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Occidental Petroleum Corporation
We are currently looking for a Statistician with a solid theoretical and applied background to fill an exciting role with Occidental Petroleum (OXY). As a statistician at OXY, you will be part of a small analytics team that apply statistical methods to varieties of problems including supply-chain problems, oil production, drilling and completion among others. We have a long portfolio of projects and a great amount of executive support for growth and expansion. As member of this new team, you will have a unique opportunity to define the culture and future of data at OXY.
• Collaborate with subject matter experts to select the relevant sources of information and formulate the right questions and problems.
• Identify what data is available and relevant, including internal and external data sources, leveraging new data collection processes.
• Demonstrate the scientific qualities: clarity, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, logic, significance, and fairness.
• Present and depict the rationale of findings in easy to understand terms for the business. Present back results that contradict common belief, if needed.
• Provide on-going tracking and monitoring of performance of deployed decision systems and statistical models.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
5 years of industrial/academic experience in statistical sciences, econometrics, statistical physics, applied mathematics, etc.
• No prior experience in oil and gas industry is required.
• Highly experienced and educated in a two of the following areas: clinical trials, epidemiology, survival data analysis, spatial and spatio-temporal statistics, time series analysis, causal and graphical models, high dimensional data and statistical learning, hypothesis tests, design of experiments, statistical simulation, visualization, Bayesian analysis, etc.
• Highly experienced with R or Python for analysis of data.
• Graduate degrees in Statistics, Economy, Mathematics, Industrial Engineering, or Physics.
• Minimum three published peer-reviewed articles in prestigious related conference proceedings/journals.
• Possession of excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Some background in advanced data structures and algorithms, artificial intelligence, and numerical analysis is a plus.
• PhD preferred.
• Effective team player who takes an active role in team responsibilities
• Strong time management skills.
• Ability to work with minimum of supervision.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to multi-task many activities at the same time
• Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a fulltime basis.
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Individual with Disability/Veteran Status