Occidental Petroleum Corporation
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
HES Senior Risk Engineering Advisor
at Occidental Petroleum Corporation
Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY) is an international oil and gas exploration and production company, and its OxyChem subsidiary is a major North American chemical manufacturer. We are one of the largest U.S. oil and gas companies, based on equity market capitalization, with more than 40,000 employees and contractors worldwide.
Our greatest asset has been and will continue to be our people. We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of HES Senior Risk Engineering Advisor based in Houston, TX.
The primary purpose of this position is to provide technical and program support for the Occidental Petroleum Corporation (OPC) corporate HES risk engineering and process safety function. Additionally, this position supports operations and other support functions, principally Facilities Engineering and Construction, Asset Integrity, Major Projects, and Business Development.
- Serves as subject matter expert and point of contact for technical and program-related Risk Engineering and Process Safety Management (PSM) topics and issues for OPC.
- Assists in development of Risk Management Standards, Procedures and Guidelines (SPGs) that support the Risk group key objectives.
- Provides technical direction and support for Business Units and key functions (i.e., Facilities Engineering and Construction, Business Development, and Major Projects) with respect to HES risk engineering and loss prevention.
- Provides technical direction and support for consequence modelling and risk analysis activities, including semi-quantitative and quantitative risk analysis methods.
- Participates and leads, as needed, in hazard identification activities and process hazard analysis.
- Performs consequence modelling for toxic releases, fires, and blast overpressures using software tools and applications (e.g., DNV-GL Phast, Safer Systems TRACE, BakerRisk Explosion Research Cooperative tools).
- Validates newly identified HES risks and risk mitigation plans; monitors risk mitigation plan progress.
- Assists in preparation of Risk Management reports and presentations.
- Participates in Risk program reviews and audits.
- Informs and advises OPC Director HES Risk Engineering of Risk function activities and any non-conformance with the Risk Management SPGs.
- Tracks and monitors Risk Management key performance indicators with emphasis on API 754 leading and lagging indicators.
- Maintains Risk Engineering data site.
- Participates and assists with coordination of OOG Risk Management Community-of-Practice (CoP) activities and sharing of information; communicates frequently with risk community and customers
- Trains risk engineers and process safety specialists on SPGs, Risk Management software applications (e.g., PHA-Pro, HES Risk Management System) and other consequence and risk analysis tools.
- Bachelors or higher degree in relevant Engineering discipline from an accredited college/university
- Process risk concepts and loss prevention methods and guidelines relevant to oil and gas operations
- Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) methodologies, including HAZOP and ‘What-If'
- Risk analysis methodologies, including Layers Of Protection Analysis (LOPA) and Quantitative Risk Analysis (QRA)
- Consequence Modelling for Toxic, Fire and Blast Overpressure Event Scenarios
- Use of PHA software applications
- Facility Siting and Layout analysis
- Working knowledge of process systems and equipment function
- Fire protection systems
- Process Safety Systems
- Incident Investigation
- OSHA Process Safety Management (PSM)
- Environmental Protection Agency Risk Management Plan (EPA RMP)
- PHMSA/DOT Pipeline Safety Regulations
- National consensus standards (e.g., NFPA, API, ASME, etc.)
- Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Project,)
- Qualified Process Hazard Analysis Team Leader/Facilitator
- Registered Professional Engineer (not mandatory but desirable)
- 8 years in Risk Engineering-related with 2-3 years in oil and gas industry
Competencies & Skills:
- Integrity and trust qualities
- Ethic and values qualities
- Skills for identifying and dealing with conflict in a timely manner with reliance on supervision
- Excellent skills in data base /spreadsheet management and programming
- Skills for dealing with difficult situations with minimum supervision
- Problem solving with limited supervision
- Skills for determining project needs and steps needed for timely delivery with little supervision
- Effective time management for completion of work load activities
- Rapid learning skills
- Effective written, presentation and verbal communication skills
- Effective interpersonal and teamwork skills with little or no supervision
- Possesses sound working knowledge of all technical principles, theories, and concepts within the Risk Engineering function.
- Possesses broadened knowledge and understanding of industry business principles, drivers, objectives, strategies, and economic impacts of technical decisions
- Assessment/audit skills
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Individual with Disability/Veteran Status