National MS Society
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Specialist, Accounts Payable
at National MS Society
Potential Work LocationsHouston, Texas
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society is a national non-profit that exists because there are people with MS. Our vision is a world free of MS. Everything we do is focused so that people affected by MS can live their best lives as we stop MS in its tracks, restore what has been lost and end MS forever.
We are more than an organization. We are a movement. United in our collective power to do something about MS now and end this disease forever. At the National MS Society you have the opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of those living with MS and their families.
As a member of the Society team, you'll work in an environment that values collaboration, innovation, diverse perspectives, and most of all a relentless resolve so people with MS can live their best lives.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our national Finance team as an Accounts Payable Specialist.
The Accounts Payable Specialist is responsible for the management of the Accounts Payable functions for the Chapters. The A/P Specialist must have the ability to implement structured protocols designed to enable consistency, reliability, and efficiency. A/P Specialist will work with staff and vendors for troubleshooting issues to deliver quality customer service.
Essential Functions/ Responsibilities
Accounts Payable Processing
- Review Purchase orders for approvals and receiving of items.
- Reviews all invoices for appropriate documentation
- Receive and match invoices to purchase orders. Follow up with Requisitioner or Dept. head with discrepancies in a timely manner.
- Allocate expenses according to the Society's Chart of Accounts and prepare invoice for voucher entry.
- Prepares work to be accomplished by gathering and sorting documents and related information.
- Pays invoices by verifying transaction information; scheduling and preparing disbursements; obtaining authorization for payment.
- Process and post weekly check runs, & ACH payments.
- Record wires, direct deductions and credit memos in the Epicor Accounting system.
- Reconcile employee expense reimbursement reports and allocate expenses accordingly. Input and post vouchers in Epicor accounting system for payment set up
- Voided checks are properly documented and presented to Accounts Payable Manager for processing.
- Reconcile A/P aging to general ledger
- Reconcile electronic payments in A/P and general ledger to Bank System
- Maintains financial security by following internal accounting controls
- Maintains financial historical records by filing accounting documents
- Responsible for Vendor maintenance, new vendors, address updates,as needed.
- Assists with monthly reconciliations as directed
- Maintains all accounts payable reports, spreadsheets and files.
- Prepares analysis of accounts, as required
- Provide general accounting customer service to Society staff
- Courteously and promptly respond to all requests and inquiries from staff and vendors
- Provide general accounting customer service to Vendors
- Increase the number of Society volunteers, recognizing and recruiting talent (Managing Relationships, Being Open and Receptive)
- Engage volunteers, effectively communicating and facilitating meaningful opportunities across all functions. (Communication)
- Partner with volunteers to accomplish our work. (Getting Work Done through Others, Getting Organized, Managing Work Processes, and Overcoming Obstacles)
- Cultivate volunteers, seeking and providing feedback and sharing opportunities for reciprocal growth and learning. We recognize the contributions of all volunteers. (Communication, Inspiring Others, People Management, Learning, Being Open and Receptive)
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of two years progressive accounts payable and customer service experience
- Proven working experience as accounts payable clerk
- Solid understanding of basic accounting principles, Proven ability to calculate, post and manage accounting figures and financial records
- Data entry skills along with a knack for numbers
- Hands-on experience in operating spreadsheets and accounting software
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Customer service orientation and negotiation skills
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Problem solving skills in accounting transactions; the ability to analyze and reconcile figures on a monthly basis.
- Knowledge of Excel and Microsoft Office Suite
- High level of confidentiality
- Strong attention to detail, organization skills & excellent time management
- Solid analytical skills for investigating/correcting problems
- Strong typing and 10-key calculator speed.
- Commitment to the mission, vision, cultural values, and expectations of the National MS Society
- (IF APPLICABLE) This position will be required to drive/travel on Society business. Candidate must possess a valid driver's license, proof of insurance and reliable transportation. The Society does run motor vehicle checks for all positions which require driving and the applicant must meet the Society guidelines.
- (IF APPLICABLE) Availability to work occasional nights and weekends to support events, committee meetings, etc
- This position will be required to drive/travel on Society business. Candidate must possess a valid driver's license, proof of insurance, and reliable transportation. The Society does run motor vehicle checks for all positions which require driving and the applicant must meet the Society guidelines.
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society provides a highly competitive, comprehensive benefit package to employees. These benefits include a considerable Paid Time Off Plan; Paid Holidays; 401k Retirement Savings Plan with Society match; Educational Reimbursement Plan; Professional Development Assistance; Commuter Benefit Plan; Comprehensive Health & Welfare benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending Accounts, Life Insurance, Disability Coverage, Life Assistance Plan as well as additional voluntary benefit offerings.