Microchip Technology Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sr. Engineer II - Software Development
at Microchip Technology Inc.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for designing, developing and supporting embedded firmware for server storage applications. The candidate will be working within a team of other software/firmware engineers delivering industry-leading storage products for the Enterprise and Data Center environments and will work closely with hardware, ASIC, storage management, other firmware, OS driver and test teams to help deliver complete solutions.
- Design, develop, and unit test high quality firmware within an agile development framework
- Identify architectural improvements and designs that meet customer requirements
- Develop features for new generations of products as well as supporting current ones
- Interface with other teams to build an integrated solution
- Deliver firmware that meets all customer requirements and aligns with customer solution framework
- Interface with program management; provide high quality status updates and meet commitments
- Perform required product testing and work closely with other test engineers to improve product quality
- Interface with test teams to root-cause issues, identify solutions and release quality product. Provide input to test teams to generate test plan
- Mentor and guide junior engineers at various phases of product design, development and test
- Exercise independent and thorough judgement and work under minimum supervision to deliver required results
- BS or MS or equivalent degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics or Computer Science or related field of study
- 7+ years of C/C++ programming experience
- 5+ years of Linux programming environment experience
- Excellent communication skills
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- 3+ years of experience developing embedded firmware
- Experience developing storage products
- Experience with software/firmware development on embedded Linux or ThreadX
- Proficient with scripting languages (Perl, Python or similar)
- Experience with protocols and interfaces such as SAS, SCSI, PCIe, RAID, I2C, etc.
- Ability to debug complex system-level problems
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience as part of a collaborative development team
- Strong problem solving, hands-on debugging, lab skills and use of test equipment
- Highly motivated and can achieve goals with minimal supervision
- Experience with the agile software development process
- Experience using source level debuggers such as gdb, GHS etc.
- Familiar with typical Source Code Management (SCM) systems such as svn, git etc.