Legacy Community Health Services
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Legacy Community Health Services
Legacy Community Health is a premium, Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) that provides comprehensive care to community members regardless of their ability to pay. Our goal is to treat the entire patient while improving their overall wellness and quality of life, in addition to providing free pregnancy tests, HIV/AIDS screening. At Legacy, we empower patients to lead better lives by promoting healthy behaviors and offering resources such as literacy classes, family planning services, and nutrition and weight management information.
Our roots began in 1981 as the Montrose Clinic, with specialization in HIV education, testing, and treatment. Since then, the agency has expanded to 10 clinics in Houston, one in Baytown, two in Beaumont, and one in Deer Park with extensive services that include: Adult primary care, HIV/AIDS care, pediatrics, OB/GYN and maternity, dental, vision and behavioral health. We also service students within KIPP and YES Prep schools. Legacy is committed to driving healthy change in our communities.
The Billing Specialist is responsible for correcting, completing, and processing claims of all payer codes. The Billing Specialist is also required to generate reports from computer in accordance with established procedures.
Essential functions are those tasks, duties, and responsibilities that comprise the means of accomplishing the job’s purpose and objectives. Essential functions are critical or fundamental to the performance of the job. They are the major functions for which the person in the job is held accountable.
- Responsible for maintaining and/or creating patient accounts within medical software program. Assesses accuracy of demographic and policy information within patient accounts. Photocopies patients' identification and/or insurance cards as appropriate.
- Responsible for charge and payment entry within medical software program.
- Coordinates and clarifies with providers when necessary, information that seems incomplete or is lacking for proper account/claim adjudication.
- Assist in Credentialing providers with various managed care companies.
- Maintains and responds to requests for provider licensure or other information needed to maintain active status with affiliated organizations.
- Reviews provider schedules and screens patient financial/demographic information for accuracy. Coordinates with Front Desk staff to update patient records as needed.
- Reviews patient insurance policy information and works with providers to obtain authorization and referrals, as necessary.
- Updates this information within medical software program.
- Assists in reconciling deposit and patient collections.
- Coordinates with Front Desk staff regarding collection of current or past due patient balances, co-pays, deductibles, etc.
- Available to answer billing and charge related inquiries by patients, staffs, managed care organizations, etc.
- Participates in the Performance Improvement Program.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors and fellow employees to insure a professional, responsible and courteous environment.
- Promotes effective working relations and works effectively as part of a team to facilitate the department’s ability to meet its goals and objectives.
- Attends all required safety training programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety, department/service safety, specific job–related hazards.
- Attends all required safety education programs.
- Operates assigned equipment and performs all procedures in a safe manner as instructed.
- Maintains work area and equipment in condition required by Legacy standards.
- Demonstrates proper body mechanics in all functions.
- Checks on the patient’s environment and equipment to insure safety. Reports safety concerns promptly to appropriate personnel.
- Follows Legacy’s exposure control plans/blood borne and airborne pathogens.
- Demonstrates knowledge of techniques, procedures and correct use of protective barrier equipment (Universal Precautions).
- Assures a safe environment by instituting appropriate control measures.
- Attends annual education programs.
Education & Training Requirements
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
Work Experience Requirements
- A minimum of 3-5 years of medical billing experience preferred.
- Some training or background in ICD-A / CPT codes preferred.
- Ability to understand and practice bookkeeping and accounting terminology required.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and billing practices preferred.
- Ability to operate computers and other office machines required.
- Must be able to take responsibility and work under pressure
- 9 Holiday + 1 Floating Holiday
- 403b Retirement Plan
- Medical / Vision / Dental (if eligible)
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.
If you want to view the EEO is the Law poster, please choose your language: English – Spanish – Arabic - Chinese
If you want to view the EEO is the Law Supplement poster, please choose your language: English – Spanish – Chinese
If you want to view the Pay Transparency Policy Statement, please click the link: English