Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Measurement Engineer Hydrocarbon Liquids Processing and Transportation
at Kinder Morgan.
Position Description:Provide liquid measurement technical support for NGLs and Crude Oil for KM's processing and transportation assets. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical guidance and expertise to Field Operations and Measurement regarding liquid measurement practices relating to new and existing interconnects, equipment installations, measurement issues/discrepancies, etc.
- Provide guidance and expertise with physical setup of measurement equipment including RTU and communication equipment for the transfer of measurement data between field and office (SCADA/Measurement system).
- Stay abreast of and maintain a working knowledge of applicable industry guidelines and regulations such as AGA, API, GPA, BLM, specifically the newer CFR orders pertaining to BLM, etc., and develop plans for addressing impacts of such.
- Develop relationships with, and become the primary Measurement contact for, Field Operations, Measurement, Engineering, Project Management, Marketing, Business Development, and System Design to improve liquid measurement across assets.
- Maintain and develop the operating standards and procedures that support quality liquid measurement practices in Field Operations and within the Measurement Department.
- Provide input and recommendations for the design and equipment standards used by the Company to enable quality measurement in Company facilities.
- Develop and, as appropriate, execute training plans and training content for Field Operations and the Measurement Department.
- Provide assistance with the identification and resolution of issues concerning lost and unaccounted for product.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering from an accredited school of engineering or related physical sciences.
- Industry experience with liquids measurement and measurement systems may be accepted in lieu of the BS degree requirement.
Experience / Specific Knowledge:
- Prefer 10+ years’ experience in hydrocarbon liquid measurement.
- Thorough understanding of measurement related calculations of gas and liquid.
- Understanding of product and plant balancing process for liquids.
- Ability to train other resources in the areas of liquid measurement.
- Ability to organize efforts and author a set of company supported standards relating to measurement processes for both field and corporate in the areas of gas and liquid measurement.
- Direct knowledge of AGA, GPA, API and other industry related standards for the physical measurement and calculated properties of pipeline gas liquid products specifically in the areas of including natural gas, NGL, crude.
- Direct knowledge/experience with physical setup of measurement equipment including RTU and communication equipment for the transfer of measurement data between field and office (SCADA/Measurement system).
- Working knowledge in the transportation and processing of natural gas liquids and/or crude oil.
- Working knowledge of applicable industry guidelines and regulations such as AGA, API, GPA, BLM, specifically the newer CFR orders pertaining to BLM, etc.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in Microsoft applications, including but not limited to Outlook, Word, Excel, VISIO, Access, PowerPoint.
- Familiarity and ability to read and interpret electrical and mechanical blueprints and diagrams, including flow charts, cause/effect diagrams, and Piping and Instrument Drawings (P&IDs).
- Understanding of operating agreements, facilities interconnect agreements, and product allocation concepts.
- Maintain a high regard for personal safety, for the safety of company assets and employees, and the general public.
- Strong analytical skills are required and must be able to maintain objectivity, resolve issues from multiple perspectives, and make recommendations based on results.
- Assertive in pursuing difficult issues and bringing them to a timely and thorough resolution.
- Must be self-motivated and capable of working with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work with a team, take direction from supervisor(s), focus attention on details, follow work rules, and adhere to work schedules required.
- Effective in setting and communicating goals and priorities and executing on them.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and a driving record satisfactory to the company and its insurers.
- Office environment based in Houston, Texas.
- Periodic travel with overnight stays (10 — 15% typical).
- Periodic visits to field locations with ability to move about industrial facilities and construction sites, including the use of steps, ladders, and scaffolding in varying weather conditions and working in confined spaces.
- Extended work hours occasionally required and expected, often on short notice or without notice.
As the largest energy infrastructure company in North America, Kinder Morgan owns an interest in or operates approximately 80,000 miles of pipelines and 180 terminals. Our pipelines transport natural gas, refined petroleum products, crude oil, carbon dioxide (CO2) and more. Our assets are core to North American energy infrastructure and help deliver needed energy products to high-demand markets.
The Kinder Morgan businesses are as follows:
Natural Gas Pipelines
With approximately 70,000 miles of pipelines, we are the largest natural gas transporter and storage operator in the United States. Our pipelines are connected to every important natural gas resource play, including the Eagle Ford, Marcellus, Utica, Uinta, Haynesville, Fayetteville, Barnett, Mississippi Lime and Woodford, that will play a significant role in meeting the nation’s long term natural gas supply. We serve the major consuming markets of the entire United States. Key assets include premier interstate pipelines that stretch from coast to coast and a huge intrastate pipeline system in Texas, the state which is the largest producer and consumer of natural gas in the United States.
We are the leading transporter and marketer of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the United States. We deliver approximately 1.3 billion cubic feet per day of CO2 through about 1,300 miles of pipelines. We also produce more than 50,000 barrels of oil per day. Key assets include CO2 source fields in southwestern Colorado, pipelines that transport CO2 from Colorado to New Mexico and Texas, and oil production fields in the Permian Basin of West Texas.
We transport about more than 2 Million barrels daily of gasoline, jet fuel, diesel, natural gas liquids and biofuels through more than 8,000 miles of pipelines. Key assets include refined petroleum pipelines and terminal storage and blending systems that serve California, Florida and other states in the western and southeastern United States. We also transport crude and condensate from the Eagle Ford shale to the Houston Ship Channel. Specific to renewable fuels, our Products and Terminals business segments combined handle about 30 percent of all of the ethanol used in the United States.
We operate approximately 180 terminals that have a combined liquids storage capacity of more than 110 million barrels for refined petroleum products, crude oil, chemicals and biofuels. We also handle over 105 million tons per year of dry bulk materials such as coal, petroleum coke and steel. Key assets include large liquids terminals on the Houston Ship Channel and in New York Harbor, Los Angeles Harbor and Edmonton, Alberta, as well as strategically located coal terminals in the Southeast and along the Gulf Coast.
Kinder Morgan Canada
Our Trans Mountain pipeline system originates in Edmonton, Alberta, and is the only oil sands pipeline that transports crude oil and refined petroleum to Vancouver, British Columbia, and Washington State. We have proposed and are pursuing a major expansion of Trans Mountain.
As a market leader in each of our businesses, we are always looking for skilled professionals to join our team. When you join Kinder Morgan, you join a different kind of Energy Company. We tie financial incentives for our employees directly to the performance of the company and their own personal performances. At Kinder Morgan, you will find a dynamic and safe work environment that promotes career growth and recognizes achievements.
Join the Kinder Morgan Talent Network today and check out our current opportunities!
What is a Talent Network?
Talent Networks enhance your job search and application process. Whether you choose to apply or just leave your information, we look forward to staying connected with you.