Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at KBR, inc
This position will provide technical and analytical chemistry expertise for the analysis of gaseous and atmospheric samples in support of NASA human spaceflight programs. Sample matrices to be analyzed include archival air samples, off-gas test samples, potable water, and wastewater samples. Additional tasks include testing, evaluation, and preparation of environmental monitoring hardware for human space flight missions. This position is charged with utilizing instrumental, wet-chemical and passive-collection techniques, and the calibration and testing of prototype and operational real-time air monitoring instrumentation. Following existing methods, recommending method improvements and developing investigative studies to verify the proposed method modifications are also required. This position also requires the chemist remain aware of advances in both instrumentation and techniques in order to suggest ideas for the improvement of existing methods and procedures related to environmental sample analysis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform analysis of samples from flight (archival air/water samples), ground based projects, & controls according to established protocols & process data. Instrumentation may include gas chromatography with mass spectrometry, flame ionization, helium ionization & thermal conductivity detection methods.
- Maintain and troubleshoot laboratory instrumentation, equipment supplies as needed.
- Calibrate and test sensors in real-time air monitoring instrumentation.
- Preparation of external standards for identification and quantitation of target compounds. Prepare gas-phase external standards in canisters, and generate standard gas streams from compressed gas and permeation tube sources for the calibration and evaluation of sensors.
- Review data acquisition and analysis processes and develop SOPs for defined testing
- Become proficient in standard laboratory assays and protocols
- Assist with preparation of data summary charts as required
- May participate in human subject testing
- Manage workload, review and report results, and query historical data using a Laboratory Information Management System.
- Responsible for compliance with the TEC Quality Assurance Plan (QAP). Knowledge of ISO 9001 and ISO 17025 quality systems as related to environmental sample analysis with a research emphasis and method development.
- Prepare test methods, test plans, technical papers as required.
- Develop and evaluate new analytical methods and work instructions as required for special samples or specific compounds as requested by the customer.
- Prepare and submit purchase requests for equipment and laboratory supplies as needed. This may include conducting market surveys, obtaining cost estimates, and preparing necessary forms and justifications.
- Review product literature, publish laboratory results, and attend workshops and/or conferences to maintain technical proficiency and update skills.
- Work with pressure systems including compressed gas cylinders, regulators, associated fittings and gas delivery systems.
- Prepare and present safety topics to laboratory personnel periodically.
- Attend weekly laboratory meetings
- Other duties assigned
REQUIRED: A Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 6 years of experience, a Master's degree and a minimum of 4 years of experience or a Doctorate-level degree in Analytical or Environmental Chemistry is required.
DESIRED: Individual contributor on assigned tasks; ability to evaluate, select and apply specialized knowledge to achieve task completion; ability to demonstrate advanced competence in adaptation or modification of standard techniques; responsible for completion of multiple or complex projects. Limited supervision.
REQUIRED: Environmental/research laboratory experience using instrumental and wet chemistry methods for environmental sample analyses; Gas Chromotography /Mass Spectrometry (GC/MS) experience with various environmental sample media to include air samples. Familiar with HP GC/MS associated software. Experience with quality procedures associated with high profile samples. Excellent data management skills, organization, documentation skills, and ability to think independently. Experience with ISO-quality procedures. Excellent oral communication, technical writing, and data interpretation skills.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
DESIRED: Experience with EPA, NIOSH and Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater methods. Experience with ChemStation and OpenLab. Experience with ISO 9001 and 17025 quality systems. Gas standard preparation techniques.
KBR is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.