Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Job Reference #: AS0001I1
Jacobs Technology is the advanced technology arm of Jacobs Engineering (NYSE:JEC), one of the largest engineering and technical service companies in the United States. Jacobs has partnered with NASA to support space flight programs for more than 40 years and held the predecessor Engineering and Science Contract (ESC) since 2005. We look forward to continuing that work as the prime contractor for the JSC Engineering, Technology, and Science (JETS) contract along with our eleven teammate companies to provide engineering, scientific and technical contract services at NASA's Johnson Space Center (Houston, TX). JETS provides products and technical services related to human operations in space through development and integration of a broad spectrum of engineering requirements. This includes human spacecraft flight and flight development products, human exploration mission planning for NASA, institution support services, and new technology development. At Jacobs, we believe that people are our greatest asset, and that is why we offer a partnership in which you can grow personally and professionally with the advantages of strong leadership, competitive compensation and rewarding career paths.
Our long-term client relationship with NASA has led to a need for a Software Engineer with UTC, a JETS teammate company.
** We are actively searching for qualified candidates for this potential opening, however we do not have assurance at this time if and when the position will be finalized and opened. Because we have strong reason to believe the position will be approved soon, we are proceeding with identifying qualified candidates and conducting interviews.**
The Software Engineer will:
- Develop an autonomous robotic flight system that can be used to explore areas on the surface of planets and moons in advance of human exploration
- The system will be capable of translating to a specified site, landing, collecting data and sending it to a remote location, recharging and repeating the process
- Develop C software
- Perform software testing and verification
- Develop software documentation
- Participate as software Subject Matter Expert in project meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- BS degree in engineering from an accredited engineering school and five (5) years of direct software engineering experience, or a MS degree from an accredited engineering school and four (4) years of direct software engineering experience, or Ph.D. and zero (0) years of direct software engineering experience
- Strong C embedded programming skills and experience within the last 5 years
- Experience with Linux Kernel, device drivers and embedded Real-time Operating System (RTOS)
- Experience with robotic systems
- ROS (Robot Operating System) or a similar platform in a significant way
- Experience writing software for automation/process control, including hardware interfaces (such as Ethernet, serial ports, etc.)
- Experience with the Git version control system)
- Linux experience running on ARM processors using the TI SDK
- Experience with USB video, video for linux, HD video and image processing (gstreamer framework, h.264, MPEG, JPEG, etc)
Why Work for JETS?
- Opportunities for growth and advancement
- Comprehensive Medical Coverage (medical, dental, vision)
- Benefits Tuition Reimbursement
- Much, much more!
Don't miss out on this great opportunity; for immediate consideration, apply now! (www.wehavespaceforyou.com).
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and successfully complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which this position has been advertised.
Generally an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on task.
Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of time). May require lifting and carrying up to 10 lbs (5% of time).
Equipment and Machines
Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
Regular attendance in accordance with established work schedule is critical. Ability to work outside normal schedule and adjust schedule to meet peak periods and surge requirements when required.
Other Essential Functions
Must be able to work in a team atmosphere. Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation. Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.