Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Mechanical Design Engineer - Exploration Space Suit
- Support Johnson Space Center's activities on the International Space Station and Exploration Space Suits.
- Work in a team environment to analyze requirements and develop design solutions for the International Space Station and Exploration Space Suit.
- Design, develop, test, handle implementation, and analysis of technical products and systems.
- Perform engineering design evaluations.
- Produce engineering drawings conforming to JPR 8500 and other applicable standards.
- Perform dimensional fit tolerance analysis including thermal effects.
- Perform functional analyses, when applicable, and sizing structural analyses.
- Produce drawings conforming to ASME Y14.5 as well as support design with standard hand calculations for fit, function and structural strength.
- Prepare and present designs at various design reviews using MS Word and PowerPoint.
- Produce other required design documentation.
- Perform other duties as required.
Required Education Experience/Skills:
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- BS degree in engineering from an accredited engineering school.
- Ability to produce drawings conforming to ASME Y14.5, perform dimensional fit tolerance analysis including thermal effects and to support design with standard hand calculations for fit, function, and structural strength.
- Experience using 3D solid modeling CAD software.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must have working knowledge of machine shop processes and familiarization with the structural and thermal analysis process in development of hardware.
- BS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering.
- Familiarization with JSC Engineering Drawing System Manual (JPR 8500).
- Familiarization with JSC Fabrication Tolerances and Practices (SKZ36103755).
- Experience designing flight hardware and creating drawings for NASA/JSC.
- Experience using PTC CREO or Pro Engineering.
(Please view in Chrome or Microsoft Edge.)
- Excellent personal and professional career growth
- 9/80 work schedule (every other Friday off)
- Onsite cafeteria (breakfast & lunch)
- Comprehensive Benefit Package (medical, dental & vision)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Much, much more!
Must be a U.S. Citizen and successfully complete a U.S. government background investigation.
Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- Please visit our career page at: www.wehavespaceforyou.com.
Generally an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on task.
Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs (5% of time).
Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
Regular attendance in accordance with established work schedule is critical. Ability to work outside normal schedule and adjust schedule to meet peak periods and surge requirements when required.
Must be able to work in a team atmosphere. Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation. Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.