Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Mechanical Design Engineer
- Support Johnson Space Center's activities on the International Space Station and space exploration.
- Work in a team environment to analyze requirements from the customer and develop design solutions.
- Design, develop, test, handle implementation, and analysis of technical products and systems.
- Perform engineering design evaluations.
- Produce engineering drawings conforming to JPR 8500 and other applicable standards.
- Perform dimensional fit tolerance analysis including thermal effects.
- Perform functional analyses, when applicable, and sizing structural analyses.
- Produce drawings conforming to ASME Y14.5 as well as support design with standard hand calculations for fit, function and structural strength.
- Prepare and present designs at various design reviews using MS Word and PowerPoint.
- Produce other required design documentation.
- Perform other duties as required.
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- BS degree in engineering from an accredited engineering school and a minimum of five (5) years of related engineering experience, or a MS degree from an accredited engineering school and a minimum of four (4) years of related engineering experience, or a Ph.D. from an accredited engineering school and zero (0) years of related experience.
Experience designing mechanical systems, particularly rotational and linear actuators.
Experience packaging actuators into custom complex and compact systems.
Experience with requirements development, design trades, risk analysis, and system analysis.
Ability to produce drawings conforming to ASME Y14.5, perform dimensional fit tolerance analysis including thermal effects and to support design with standard hand calculations for fit, function, and structural strength.
Minimum of 5 years of experience using solid modeling CAD software.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
BS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering.
Minimum 5 years' experience designing flight hardware and creating drawings for NASA/JSC PER JSC Engineering Drawing System Manual (JPR 8500).
Minimum of 3 years' experience using PTC CREO or Pro Engineering.
Working knowledge of machine shop processes and familiarization with the structural and thermal analysis process in development of hardware.
Experience with harmonic drives, planetary gears; cycloid gears would be a plus.
- Excellent personal and professional career growth
- 9/80 work schedule (every other Friday off)
- Onsite cafeteria (breakfast & lunch)
- Comprehensive Benefit Package (medical, dental & vision)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Much, much more!
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and successfully complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which this position has been advertised.