Institute for Building Technology and Safety
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Environmental Specialist III
at Institute for Building Technology and Safety
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Job Locations
- Disaster Recovery
This position is part of a Disaster Recovery team. We are not first responders, but when natural disasters strike (e.g.., hurricanes, earthquakes, flood waters, tornados, fires, etc.) our team travels to the disaster area as part of the recovery process to help restore the communities. Our primary focus is working with homeowners in the restoration of their houses and property.
This position will begin as an “on-call/as-needed” basis, with strong probability of converting to a regular, full-time position with full employee benefits which include (but are not limited to) medical, prescription, dental, vision, FSA, 401k with employer matching, paid holidays, and paid leave.
We are looking for individuals who are willing, able, and readily available to be a part of this team, who can report for work and travel on short notice to disaster sites and remain engaged in the recovery efforts for varying periods of time. Longer assignments will include rotations for travel back and forth between their home and the disaster sites.
The Environmental Specialist is responsible for ensuring compliance with Federal, State, and local regulations related to hazardous materials. The Environmental Specialist will work as a quality assurance and regulatory compliance specialist and is responsible for assisting in the coordination and completion of quality audit activities for monitoring and evaluating regulatory and standards compliance from the environmental aspect of a construction project. The incumbent will be responsible for the evaluation of public and private third parties conducting quality assurance oversight and construction code compliance of all environmental work. The incumbent coordinates with field personnel conducting quality audit activities and reviews and synthesizes audit data.
- Developing and maintaining management information systems which identify the location of hazardous materials in all facilities.
- Incorporate the different disciplines of environmental science and studies including to but not limited to indoor air quality, ecology and natural sciences to researches.
- Updating and delivering training programs related to hazardous materials and waste for internal employees, contractors, sub-contractors and external users. Supervising work of outside contractors involved in removing or testing hazardous materials.
- Investigating internal and external complaints concerning exposure to hazardous materials or air pollutants. Maintaining accurate records related to chemical inventories, complaint investigations, and shipments of hazardous wastes.
- Conduct field inspections and report environmentally hazardous locations and materials.
- Conduct research and examine sources of pollution.
- Create and propose plans to eradicate environmental hazards.
- Maintain and administer all environmental related permits, inspections, and research completed.
- Develop and communicate schedules and timeline implications of the necessary actions.
- Remain informed of current and proposed regulations related to program areas assigned.
- Perform related field work as required.
- Conduct sampling of hazardous and/or industrial and/or construction waste and bulk sampling of material suspected of containing environmentally hazardous material.
- Maintain operation and inspection logs.
- Submit clear and concise written reports based on field inspections.
- Maintain list of material, chain of custodies and data regarding the materials associated.
- Exercise stopgap measurement as well as enforce necessary compliance according to the program.
- Recommend and coordinate the development of programs needed by the authorities having jurisdiction to comply with hazardous materials regulations.
- Provide coordination with regulatory agencies regarding hazardous materials.
- Disseminate Right-to-Know information.
- Assist project managers and other team members in the closeout aspect of the project from the environmental perspective.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in physical or biological science.
- 6+ years of relevant experience.
- Working knowledge of hazardous materials including hazardous wastes, asbestos, lead, mold, UST, and other hazardous pollutants.
- Ability to understand and apply government regulations related to hazardous materials and wastes.
- Experience in inspecting for hazardous materials and understanding of the processes which can produce hazardous wastes and hazardous air pollutants.
- Good interpersonal relationship skills.
IBTS covers travel expenses, i.e., travel, per diem (food and lodging). Where reimbursements are provided, they will be provided directly to the individual and in a timely fashion.
Bring your passion, expertise, and experience to IBTS, where we appreciate and are committed to our employees. We offer outstanding benefits, growth opportunities, and work hard to maintain a culture that values our employees.
The Institute for Building Technology and Safety (IBTS) is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization established to provide unbiased professional building code compliance services, while enhancing the communities in which we work. At IBTS, our mission is to deliver quality services to meet the challenges of governance at all levels while enhancing public safety, economic development, and the general welfare of the community. Our services include Building and Community Development, Energy and Sustainability Services, Disaster Planning and Recovery, Quality Assurance, as well as Compliance and Risk Monitoring.
IBTS is headquartered in Ashburn, VA, with additional offices in Louisiana, Missouri, New York, Oklahoma, Texas and Washington, DC.
We are committed to building a community of experts with diverse backgrounds, disciplines, and perspectives who are passionate about our mission. IBTS is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. This opportunity is open to Section S3 Residents.
Explore the opportunities!