Institute for Building Technology and Safety
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Institute for Building Technology and Safety
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Job Locations
- Disaster Recovery
This position is part of a Disaster Recovery team. We are not first responders, but when natural disasters strike (e.g.., hurricanes, earthquakes, flood waters, tornados, fires, etc.) our team travels to the disaster area as part of the recovery process to help restore the communities. Our primary focus is working with homeowners in the restoration of their houses and property.
This position will begin as an “on-call/as-needed” basis, with strong probability of converting to a regular, full-time position with full employee benefits which include (but are not limited to) medical, prescription, dental, vision, FSA, 401k with employer matching, paid holidays, and paid leave.
We are looking for individuals who are willing, able, and readily available to be a part of this team, who can report for work and travel on short notice to disaster sites and remain engaged in the recovery efforts for varying periods of time. Longer assignments will include rotations for travel back and forth between their home and the disaster sites.
The Estimator will support damage-assessment Inspection services in disaster areas. The Estimator will provide the Scopes of Work and Estimates necessary to complete the rehabilitation or reconstruction of damaged homes.
- Evaluates structural, mechanical, electrical and plumbing deficiencies and determines improvements necessary for code compliance and to meet applicable Minimum Property Standards, and applicable Green Building Standards.
- Performs comprehensive daily reporting of estimating results verbally and in an electronic database.
- Works with the Property Assessors to ensure the field notes are of acceptable quality to provide an accurate estimate of damages.
- Develops and maintains a good working relationship with the Property Assessors and Client.
- Monitors the pace of field assessments and projecting the level of estimating effort required as work progresses.
- Completes forms necessary for the delivery of a complete bid package.
- Functions as a Team player but also productive while autonomous, delivering the required materials and findings accurately and in a timely manner.
- Renders sketches using Xactimate
- Ensures remains familiar and up to date with different editions of the International Residential Codes.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned by supervisor.
- Requires Bachelors' degree in Engineering, Architecture, or other related field with a minimum of 3 - 5 years of professional experience in Construction estimating; or an Associate’s degree with 7 years of experience in construction or estimating.
- Must possess a working knowledge of computers and the ability to transmit electronic reports.
- Experience successfully handling multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have advanced proficiency in utilizing Xactimate 28.
- Demonstrated experience in interpreting field notes to produce an accurate computer generated repair Scope of Work and Estimate using Xactimate 28® estimating software.
- Must have advanced proficiency in utiliaing Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Experienced in Building and Construction industry, including and not limited to materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, exterior landings, steps, or other structures related to clients property.
- Experienced in residential construction drawings and specifications.
- Familiarity with quantity material and labor take-off means and methods.
- Use of critical thinking and problem solving to recognize issues as well as identifying solutions to discrepancies with estimates.
- Able to communicate effectively with IBTS staff, contractors, and homeowners both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to provide quality customer service to contractors and homeowners.
- Ability to successfully foster positive attitude towards IBTS staff, contractors and homeowners
- Ability to maintain a cooperative and collaborative working relationship with variety of customers, contractors, and County staff
- Ability and willingness to travel for required meetings and training as assigned.
- Ability to speak, read, and write the English language with proficiency.
- The person in this position needs to move about inside and outside of homes and buildings while examining work sites.
- Constantly positions self to ascend/descend ladders for examining work site including but not limited to climbing steps, moving through crawl spaces, attics, basements, etc. These actions include climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling etc.
- Frequently move equipment weighing up to 50 pounds to and from work site.
- Constantly works in all outdoor weather conditions
IBTS covers travel expenses, i.e., travel, per diem (food and lodging). Where reimbursements are provided, they will be provided directly to the individual and in a timely fashion.
Bring your passion, expertise, and experience to IBTS, where we appreciate and are committed to our employees. We offer outstanding benefits, growth opportunities, and work hard to maintain a culture that values our employees.
The Institute for Building Technology and Safety (IBTS) is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization established to provide unbiased professional building code compliance services, while enhancing the communities in which we work. At IBTS, our mission is to deliver quality services to meet the challenges of governance at all levels while enhancing public safety, economic development, and the general welfare of the community. Our services include Building and Community Development, Energy and Sustainability Services, Disaster Planning and Recovery, Quality Assurance, as well as Compliance and Risk Monitoring.
IBTS is headquartered in Ashburn, VA, with additional offices in Louisiana, Missouri, New York, Oklahoma, Texas and Washington, DC.
We are committed to building a community of experts with diverse backgrounds, disciplines, and perspectives who are passionate about our mission. IBTS is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. This opportunity is open to Section S3 Residents.
Explore the opportunities!