Hempstead Independent School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Chief Financial Officer (CFO) - April 2020
at Hempstead Independent School District
Numer of Days: 226
Pay Grade 9: $80,000 - $122,100
(Pay will be based on years experience verified from School District(s) Service Record)
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) leads all of the financial services functions of the District. Develops and executes strategic plans and district-wide policies and programs relative to financial activities. The CFO is responsible for leading the fiscal and operation systems of the school district including the District’s Financial Services, Business and Support Services, Child Nutrition, PEIMS, and Federal Program Support.
The Chief Financial Officer must act with integrity, support organizational goals, demonstrate the ability to inspire, grow and motivate others and commit to championing the needs of the students, employees and overall District.
- Masters Degree from an accredited college or university in Education Administration or related field
- 3 years successful finance/business administrative school district experience.
- Certified Public Accountant
- Knowledge and understanding of accounting principles
- Strong knowledge and understanding of public school finance
- Ability to interpret school district laws and their affect on the school district
- Ability to interpret policies and procedures
- Ability to coordinate department services for district needs
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Strong presentation skills
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Serves as a member of the Superintendent’s Cabinet.
- Responsible, through subordinates, for planning and managing the preparation of the district’s annual budget and for monitoring and maintaining the budgetary control for overall districts budgets.
- Prepares forecasts and develops long-range budget plans to ensure the district’s financial stability and continued growth.
- Provides leadership and guidance for Business and Support Services, including Supply Chain Services, Child Nutrition, Transportation, Operations, and Maintenance, including professional development support.
- Directs reviews and participates in the analysis of laws, rules, regulations, opinions and decisions that affect the financial activities of the District.
- Provides direction and supervision for PEIMS and Child Nutrition.
- Leads the development and coordination of budgeting and accounting practices including annual budget preparation.
- Directs the compliance with local, state and federal laws for financial reporting and accounting practices.
- Leads systematic procedures for maintaining adequate records for appropriations and expenditures in accordance with legal requirements and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Supervises the management of banking functions including the disbursement of all
- budgeted District funds.
- Responsible for negotiation and acquisition of land and property.
- Provides support in Federal Programs.
- Responsible for providing funding for construction and renovation of facilities through bond sales.
- Responsible for debt service transactions (sale, refunding, tax rate, etc.)
- Responsible for facilitating and coordinating the work of the Bond Advisory Committee.
- Works collaboratively with Chief Human Resources Officer on development of staffing and compensation budgeting needs.
- Manages conflict resolution with administrators, parents, teachers, staff and community.
- Represents the Superintendent of Schools as an official of the District.
- Serves as the primary resource to the superintendent of schools and the Board of Trustees in the development and interpretation of policies and procedures relative to effective fiscal and operations processes.
- Confers with and serves as liaison with internal and external stakeholders in district financial activities including board members, principals, local district superintendents, bond analysts, state, county, and municipal representatives, legal authorities, the business community and the public.
- All other duties as assigned by the Superintendent.
Leads management in the development, deployment and ongoing management of key initiatives covering multiple major disciplines with direct accountability for results in terms of effectiveness, costs, methods, and employees. Establishes operational objectives and assignments for multiple disciplines/functional areas and possibly departments. Evaluates recommendations of others, deciding on course of action in ambiguous situations, and oversees the deployment of innovative solutions. Collaborates with executive leadership to develop strategies and broad departmental objectives; establishes methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for projects, programs and people in the achievement of strategic objectives.
Supervises and evaluates performance of managerial staff assigned to the Department. The direct reports to the CFO include:
- Accounts Payable Clerk
- Payroll Clerk
- PEIMS Coordinator
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: physical mobility, standing, prolonged sitting, some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling. This position will also require both traveling within the district and state wide, occasional prolonged and irregular hours and participation required and some district functions. Mental demands: Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of situations; ability to interpret a variety of data; ability to apply knowledge of current research and theory, ability to be effective in both oral and written communication; ability to maintain emotional control under stress.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
Job Contact Information
|Title||Director of Human Resources|
Friday, February 7, 2020 12:00 AM
(Central Standard Time)