Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Young Adult Services Librarian
at Harris County
- Position Description
Harris County Public Library - Katherine Tyra Branch Library, West Harris County
The Young Adult Services Librarian is responsible for identifying and interpreting user needs; planning and implementing a variety of programs for young adults to encourage library usage and to foster community relations; providing reference and readers' advisory; and assisting Library patrons in the use of library services, facilities and equipment.
Detailed Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Develops and sustains partnerships with local community organizations to provide library services and programs
- Identifies information and educational needs in the community, plans and provides services to meet those needs
- Oversees the development and maintenance of the young adult materials collection
- Provides reader's advisory and reference service using library catalog, the Internet and databases
- Organizes library programming and displays for young adults
- Develops a year-round young adult volunteer program
- Maintains an awareness of young adult literature and services
- Creates and oversees young adult committee made up of local teenagers
- Interprets and implements library policies and procedures for library users and staff
- Assumes supervisory responsibilities when assigned
- Assists customers with library computers and associated software, such as the library catalog, Internet browsers, databases and Microsoft Office applications
- Assists customers with library equipment such as printers, photocopiers, and reservation computers
- Troubleshoots equipment
- Attends professional conferences, activities, and staff meetings and actively serves on committees
- Assists customers with maker technology such as Makerbot 3D printer
- Maintains an awareness of professional trends, methods and ethics
- Performs other duties as assigned
Harris County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Master of Library Science degree from an American Library Association (ALA)-accredited school
- Master of Library Science degree from an American Association of School Librarians (AASL)-accredited school and
- A minimum of two (2) years of verifiable work experience in a public library
- Ability to organize work priorities
- Ability to work well with the public and library staff
- Good communication skills
- Familiarity with the use of modern technology such as desktops, laptops and/or tablets and basic proficiency in Microsoft Office or equivalent programs and the Internet
- Physical ability to perform above responsibilities
NOTE: Qualifying education, experience, knowledge and skills must be documented on your job application. You may attach a resume to the application as supporting documentation but ONLY information stated on the application will be used for consideration. "See Resume" will not be accepted for qualifications.
- General Information
- Full-time, 40 hours a week
- Includes Nights and Saturdays
Employment is contingent on passing a background check and drug screen.
- Paid biweekly
- Based on 26 pay periods
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date or at the discretion of the Hiring Department.