Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Veterinarian - Shelter
at Harris County
- Position Description
Under the supervision of the Chief of Veterinary Operations, performs spays or neuters on dogs and cats prior to being adopted; examines, diagnoses, and treats injured and sick sheltered animals; provides for the humane care and disposition of sheltered and quarantined animals; assists in the development and implementation of strategies to increase the "leave alive" rate; participates in planning processes; and provides insight to policy development and program budget.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Harris County is an Equal Opportunity Employer https://hrrm.harriscountytx.gov/Pages/EqualEmploymentOpportunityPlan.aspx
- Shelter Medicine Duties:
- Works to ensure the best possible environment and outcomes for shelter animals.
- Neuters or spays dogs and cats prior to being adopted.
- Examines, diagnoses, and treats injured and sick sheltered animals.
- Assists in the development and/or review of sanitation, treatment, and euthanasia protocols.
- Assists in the prevention and control of disease in sheltered animals.
- Wellness Clinical Duties:
- Provides quality preventative medicine to the community.
- Educates clients about the value of preventative care such as heartworm and flea prevention.
- Vaccinates pets against rabies and other disease, implants microchips and performs other veterinary medical procedures.
- Provides excellent customer service and care to clients.
- Works and communicates with other veterinarians and technicians to provide the best medical care.
- Administrative Duties:
- Participates in interviews for openings in Veterinary Operations.
- Conducts scheduled performance appraisals and provides counseling and training as appropriate.
- Participates in divisional strategic planning, assists in the development of performance measures for the Wellness Program and monitors progress toward meeting program goals.
- Assists in the development and oversight of the Wellness clinic budget.
- Provides general supervision to technicians performing vaccinations and treatment of animals.
- Provides clinical supervision to technicians assisting with surgery.
- Assists in the enforcement of applicable Texas laws & Harris County regulations and policies.
- Ensures that Wellness clinic is stocked appropriately.
- Coordinates with the Shelter Operations Administrator for facility maintenance and repairs.
- Zoonosis Control Duties:
- Responsible for daily evaluation of quarantined animals.
- Consults with the public & medical community concerning rabies & other zoonotic diseases as needed.
- Other Duties:
- Performs other duties as assigned, including special tasks involved in responding to an emergency event.
- Shelter Medicine Duties:
- DVM/VMD or equivalent degree from an AVMA accredited School of Veterinary Medicine.
- OR Will graduate from an AVMA accredited school of Veterinary Medicine with a doctorate degree in Veterinary Medicine (DVM/VMD) by hire date.
- A valid license to practice veterinary medicine issued by the Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners.
- OR the ability to obtain a valid veterinary license issued by the Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners by hire date.
- Six (6) months of surgical experience in spaying and neutering of dogs and cats.
- Must have or obtain USDA Accreditation within six (6) months of hire date.
- Working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets and databases.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of immunization as related to infectious diseases of animals and zoonotic diseases.
- Knowledge in the practice of shelter veterinary medicine.
- Skilled in effective personnel management and a pragmatic approach to resolution of problems.
NOTE: Qualifying education, experience, knowledge and skills must be clearly stated on your application's employment history. Resumes are welcome, but we do not use any information provided on your resume to qualify and refer you to the Hiring Department for consideration.
- Managerial/supervisory experience.
- Shelter experience.
- Knowledge of Chameleon animal care and Crystal Report writing software.
- General Information
- Houston (Canino Office)
- 40 Hours per week
- Will Be Discussed During Departmental Interview
- Based on 26 Pay Periods
Additional Information - Core Competencies
- Understands the organizational mission.
- Understands ethics and public good; is concerned with public trust.
- Demonstrates respect for the opinions and beliefs of others.
- Demonstrates a sense of responsibility for the success of the group.
- Collaborates with others to improve quality and address needs.
- Establishes collaborative relationships and projects.
- Ability to adapt to change.
- Able to manage change.
- Adept at framing issues.
- Uses sound judgment.
- Organizes and maintains work environment to allow for maximum productivity.
- Communicates clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Written and verbal English competency.
- Able to read and follow directions.
- Understands cost-benefit analysis.
- Understands decision analysis.
- Able to conduct budget/fiscal analysis/financial management.
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date.
- Understands spatial analysis (physical, social, economic, demographic).
- Understands systems analysis and design.
- Knowledgeable about project design and planning.