Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Harris County
- Position Description
The County Judge is not a judicial position. It is instead the county executive, and the head of Harris County's governing body, called the County Commissioners Court. The County Judge and four County Commissioners oversee a $4.3 billion budget that helps pay for key services in Harris County - from the justice system, to flood control, infrastructure, and public hospitals. Harris County is the third largest and most diverse county in the nation - with a population of greater than 4.5 million people - equivalent to the population of Colorado.
We are looking for a press relations professional to assist our Communications Director in the execution of a proactive communications strategy that aligns with the newly elected Harris County Judge's vision for a safe, equitable and resilient Harris County.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responds to media inquiries and establishes strong working relationships with key local and national journalists.
- Executes a robust social media strategy and digital operation.
- Identifies media opportunities and speaking engagements for the Harris County Judge.
- Coordinates with county departments, as well as other local, state, and the federal government offices, to execute a strategy for a response to crisis situations.
- Attends public speaking events and meetings with the Harris County Judge.
- Assists the development of talking points, speeches and working with policy staff.
- Drafts press releases.
Harris County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Bachelors degree in Communications or a related field, and
- Minimum five (5) years of previous public relations work or communications experience.
- Fluent in Spanish (written and spoken).
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills, along with the ability to manage stressful situations.
- Excellent judgment, integrity, and commitment to personal responsibility and accountability.
- Solid track record of media placements.
- Experience in supporting and executing a social media strategy on all major platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Over one (1) year of experience is a plus!
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to make complex issues understandable and relevant to external audiences.
- Ability to prioritize projects, meet deadlines and to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Passion for improving the quality of life for the people of Harris County.
- Respect for diversity and knowledge of the region's demographics.
- Excellent copywriting skills.
NOTE: To qualify for this position, required education, experience, knowledge and skills must be clearly stated on your application's employment history. Resumes are welcome, but we do not use any information provided on your resume to qualify and refer you to the Hiring Department for consideration.
- General Information
- This position will require many meetings across Harris County outside normal business hours.
- Commensurate with Experience
- Based on 26 Pay Periods