Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Medical Assistant- Refugee
at Harris County
- Position Description
Under the direct supervision of the Harris County Public Health (HCPH) Outreach Manager, the Medical Assistant supports outreach and patient care services provided by the Refugee Clinic. The Medical Assistant will be responsible for performing outreach and clinical tasks in accordance with all HCPH and Refugee Health Screening Program protocols.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains close coordination with refugee resettlement agencies.
- Provides information to the resettlement agencies regarding services for health maintenance, disease prevention, and resources for evaluation and/or treatment of newly arriving refugees.
- Follows all assigned clients who have a positive tuberculosis screening test and ensures that they are evaluated at the Health Department Tuberculosis Clinic of jurisdiction or private health care provider as appropriate
- Makes home visits when necessary to perform and/or to read TB skin tests.
- Facilitates appointments for the refugee clinic and outside providers as indicated.
- Notifies the Refugee Program clients of their medical evaluation and/or referral appointments.
- Organizes transportation and interpretation services for patients to clinic appointments.
- Utilizes multilingual skills to assist communication among clients and health professionals.
- Enters registration data into the electronic medical record system (Epic) on all new refugee clients.
- Utilizes Electronic Disease Notification (EDN) to obtain overseas medical documents for all applicable refugees.
- Assists with refugee health screens by performing phlebotomy to include capillary and venous draws, urine collection, pregnancy tests, lead testing and vital signs.
- Prepares and labels samples (stools for parasite, blood, sputum, etc.) for transport to appropriate laboratories.
- Provides in-room support for all clinical staff during clinic visits, as needed.
- Maintains laboratory and exam rooms in a neat, clean, and orderly manner.
Inventory/Quality Assurance Duties/Other
- Submits items for ordering via Ewise and contract laboratory, as needed
- Stocks the refugee clinic with all the equipment necessary for client screening.
- Assists with rotating dated stock to prevent loss.
- Performs quality assurance on all needed medical equipment (example: lead analyzer)
- Performs other duties as assigned, including special tasks involved in responding to an emergency event.
Harris County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent; and
- Completion of a community college or business/technical school Medical Assistant program or Certified Nurse's Aide program.
- Six (6) months experience as a Medical Assistant or Nurse Assistant working in a medical office, hospital, or laboratory.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and electronic medical records.
NOTE: To qualify for this position, required education, experience, knowledge and skills must be clearly stated on your application's employment history. Resumes are welcome, but we do not use any information provided on your resume to qualify and refer you to the Hiring Department for consideration.
- Two (2) years of experience as a Medical Assistant or Nurse's aide.
- Bilingual in Spanish/Arabic/Vietnamese or another language.
- Experience working with Epic.
- General Information
- 40 Hours per Week
- Houston (Harwin office)
- Commensurate with Experience
- Based on 26 Pay Periods
Additional Information - Core Competencies
- Understands the organizational mission
- Understands ethics and public good; is concerned with public trust
- Demonstrates respect for the opinions and beliefs of others
- Demonstrates a sense of responsibility for the success of the group
- Collaborates with others to improve quality and address needs
- Ability to adapt to change
Interpersonal Abilities/Personal Characteristics
- Uses sound judgement
- Organizes and maintains work environment to allow for maximum productivity
- Communicates clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Written and verbal English competency
- Able to read and follow directions
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date.