Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Health Outreach Specialist
at Harris County
- Position Description
Under the supervision of the Division Director, the Health Outreach Specialist will design, provide and facilitate nutrition education and physical activity classes/programs in the community. In addition, the Health Outreach Specialist will coordinate the delivery of individualized and community nutrition education and fitness, including, but not limited to worksite wellness.
- Assesses interests and needs of Harris County residents within designated public programs to provide physical activity classes at varying levels of intensity.
- Assesses both group and individual ability to perform low, moderate or high impact activity level.
- Coordinates, maintains and revises class/program schedule.
- Creates lesson plans and/or a guide with instructions for physical activities.
- Provides exercise recommendations based on individual and population needs.
- Teaches physical activity/exercise classes.
- Demonstrates proper use of exercise equipment.
- Coordinates physical activity/exercise programs.
- Receives and provides instruction for facilitation of physical activities.
- Organizes or serves as a liaison for and attends community health fairs.
- Coordinates biometric measurement (i.e. skinfold thickness, height/weight/BMI, etc.) sessions for the community, as needed or requested.
- Coordinates and facilitates lunch and learn-type wellness classes for target populations in the community.
- Documents and analyzes impact of physical activities implemented in the community.
- Prioritizes and handles diverse workload of projects, correspondences, and
- Assists project coordinators and supervisors with reports and data gathering.
- Interacts and speaks publically to public groups and Harris County Public Health (HCPH) personnel in a courteous manner, using tact and diplomacy.
- Works effectively as a team member, with management staff.
Harris County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Performs other duties as assigned including special tasks involved in responding to an emergency event.
- Bachelor's degree; and
- Fitness/exercise specialist/personal trainer certificate from ACSM, ACE, NSCA, NASM, or other top tier training organization.
- CPR/AED certification, renewing annually.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience as a wellness professional in teaching or instructing groups.
- Strong skills using Microsoft Office software such as Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to use general office equipment such as a computer and online
healthcare research skills.
- Ability to multitask and meet assignment deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and/or unsupervised while maintaining a high standard of confidentiality and honesty.
- A valid driver's license (Texas upon hire).
NOTE: To qualify for this position, required experience, education, knowledge and skills must be clearly stated on your application's employment history. Resumes are welcome, but we do not use any information provided on your resume to qualify and refer you to the Hiring Department for consideration.
- Master's degree in Public Health or related field.
- Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES), Registered Dietitian (RD), Licensed Dietitian (LD), Wellness or Life Coach Certification.
- Skilled in providing population-based physical activity classes such as Zumba, Line Dancing, Bootcamp, Tai Chi, Yoga, Pilates, Resistance Training, etc.
- Counseling experience.
- Basic experience in project management and/or oversight.
- Advanced knowledge and use of all programs within the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Bilingual abilities in English and Spanish.
- Ability to type 30-35 words per minute.
- General Information
- Houston (Harwin Office)
- 40 Hours per Week
- Will Be Discussed During Departmental Interview
- Based on 26 Pay Periods
- Understands the organizational mission.
- Understands ethics and public good; is concerned with public trust.
- Demonstrates respect for the opinions and beliefs of others.
- Demonstrates a sense of responsibility for the success of the group.
- Collaborates with others to improve quality and address needs.
- Ability to adapt to change.
- Uses sound judgment.
- Organizes and maintains work environment to allow for maximum productivity.
- Communicates clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Written and verbal English competency.
- Able to read and follow directions.
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date.