Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Engineer in Training (EIT)
at Harris County
- Position Description
This is a perfect position for a relatively new graduate engineer with an Engineer-In-Training (EIT) certification looking to take their career to the next level. The candidate will work in the Design Services group as a member of multi-disciplinary teams of engineers, architects, landscape architects, EITs, architect interns, computer-aided designers and constructability technicians in design and construction support services. The candidate will be working with Registered Professional Engineers to prepare designs for a wide variety of design including new roadway, drainage, park, and roadway maintenance projects to gain the necessary experience and skill set to become a Register Professional Engineer. This is an entry-level position.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in developing scopes of work, schedule and cost estimates for projects
- Performs engineering calculations in support of civil engineering design projects
- Performs AutoCAD civil 3D design/drafting in support of civil engineering design projects
- Conducts field investigations as necessary for the project during design and construction phase
- Prepares and reviews engineering reports, drawings, bid documents, specifications, and cost estimates for constructions
- Identifies and coordinates with subject matter expertise such as surveyors, architects, geotechnical and environmental in house staff or consultants to complete the project development
- Coordinates with Harris County Precinct representatives, external agencies, and with the public as necessary
- Assists with recovery effort following local disasters to ensure Harris County has safe infrastructure following the event
- Performs other duties as assigned
Harris County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in engineering from an ABET-accredited college or university
- Engineer-In-Training (EIT) certification
- Eligibility to test for Texas Professional Engineering licensure in Civil Engineering within four (4) years of starting employment with Harris County
- Ability to read topographic maps and construction drawings
- General computer proficiency, MS Excel, Word and other associated office software
- Proficiency in AutoCAD and AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Ability to produce documents and reports using industry standard software programs
- Ability to adapt when emergency or short turnaround projects arise
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication, and presentation skills
- A valid driver's license (Texas upon hire) and a good driving record
- Must provide and maintain proof of automobile liability insurance upon employment
This position requires bending, stooping and lifting up to 25 lbs., frequent walking, standing, sitting, reaching, and ascending/descending stairs.
NOTE: Qualifying education, experience, knowledge and skills must be documented on your job application. You may attach a resume to the application as supporting documentation but ONLY information stated on the application will be used for consideration. "See Resume" will not be accepted for qualifications.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil / Structural Engineering from an ABET-accredited college or university
- A minimum of two (2) years' experience doing civil / structural engineering design, construction management, or related field
- Possession of an EIT certificate in the State of Texas
- Proficiency in e-Builder project management software
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- General Information
- 10555 Northwest Fwy - Houston, TX 77092
- Commensurate with Experience
- Based on 26 Pay Periods
- Full-time, 8-hour day
Employment is contingent upon passing a background check and drug screen.
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date or at the discretion of the Hiring Department.