Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Harris County
- Position Description
The County Planner facilitates meetings of the County Planning Board and leads the County's long term planning efforts. Through this effort, the County Planner leads the efforts to coordinate the approval of subdivision plats that meet Harris County's more stringent alternate criteria, participates in major thoroughfare planning for the County and region, and coordinates and implements appropriate activities related to other long term land planning, such as drainage infrastructure and public transit, as appropriate.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as the focal point for long term land planning activities within the unincorporated areas of Harris County
- Coordinates across multiple public and private entities to ensure adequate and appropriate coordination of beneficial land development throughout the unincorporated areas of Harris County
- Facilitates the Harris County Planning Board, developing regulations and planning tools with County stakeholders that are designed to drive desired growth that will increase our region's resiliency,
- Participates in affordable housing planning efforts
- Leads or participates in multiple Urban Planning initiatives affecting the County as appropriate
- Leads local efforts in incorporating green infrastructure, resilience, and sustainability principles into land development
- Assists with disaster recovery efforts as directed in the event that the County is impacted by a large scale event, as directed
- Performs other duties as assigned; not all duties are described above
Harris County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Bachelor's degree in Urban Planning, Land Architecture, Architecture, Civil Engineering, or related degree
- A minimum of ten (10) years' experience in Urban Planning and/or Land Development
- Knowledge of technical principles related to urban planning and land development, especially related to resilient, environmentally friendly, and sustainable development
- Understanding of the federal, state, and local legal framework related to land development
- Ability to perform technical writing and ability to read technical codes
- Basic computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and quick ability to learn department supported application programs shortly after hire
- Ability to read construction drawings, plats, civil drawings, and survey deeds
- A valid driver's license (Texas upon hire) and a good driving record
- Must provide and maintain proof of automobile liability insurance upon employment
- Ability to lead, collaborate with, and establish effective working relationships with coworkers, developers, private engineers, other government entities, staff of elected officials, members of the public, and other stakeholders
- Proficiency in the assessment and prioritization of multiple tasks, projects, and demands
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders and the general public
- Ability to exercise flexibility in accommodating shifting priorities, demands, and schedules
- Initiative and sound, independent judgment within areas of responsibility
This position requires bending, stooping and lifting up to 25 lbs., frequent walking, standing, sitting, reaching, and ascending/descending stairs.
NOTE: Qualifying education, experience, knowledge and skills must be documented on your job application. You may attach a resume to the application as supporting documentation but ONLY information stated on the application will be used for consideration. "See Resume" will not be accepted for qualifications.
- Master's Degree in Urban Planning related field
- Fifteen (15) or more years' experience in Urban Planning and/or Land Development
- Five (5) or more years working within a leadership role in Urban Planning and/or Land Development
- Bilingual in English & Spanish and/or Vietnamese
- Certification in a sustainable development program (e.g. LEED AP)
- AICP Certification
- General Information
- 1001 Preston St – Houston, TX 77002
- Paid biweekly
- Based on 26 Pay Periods
- Commensurate with experience
- Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Subject to Early Mornings, Evenings, Weekends, and Holidays as needed
Employment is contingent upon passing a background check and drug screen.
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date or at the discretion of the Hiring Department.