Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Harris County
- Position Description
Under general supervision, the Carpenter is responsible for skilled carpentry work in the construction, maintenance, and repair of department facilities.
Performs the duties below; other duties may be assigned as deemed necessary.
Harris County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Builds, installs, and repairs structural woodwork, flooring, ceilings and cabinets.
- Plans projects as requested and ensures manpower, materials and equipment needs are met.
- Operates, maintains, and calibrates hand and power carpentry tools.
- Reads and comprehends plans and blueprints.
- Handles clerical work (receiving reports, job sheets, etc.) as needed.
- Complies with federal regulations governing safety, environmental protection and the use of chemicals and materials common to carpentry.
- Drives and operates all types of construction equipment as assigned (bucket truck, forklift, front end loader, bob cat, backhoe, one man lift, multi-person lift, ditching machine, etc.).
- Performs all jobs in a safe and timely manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent from an accredited educational institution; and
- Four (4) years experience in carpentry to include foundation work, framing, finish carpentry, and roofing.
- Skilled in all phases of carpentry techniques, materials, methods of installation and construction.
- Proficient in using power and hand tools such as saws, hammers, chisels, levels, drills, presses, sanders, table saws, joiners, planers, wood lathes, mortising machines and related carpentry tools.
- Ability to interpret blueprints and schematics.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to work well with public and other staff members.
- Valid driver's license (Texas by hire date) and a good driving record.
Environmental and Physical Requirements:
- Ability to work in inclement weather, confined areas, and ceiling spaces (attics, roofs, and scaffolding, etc.).
- Physical ability to perform job duties including: bending, climbing stairs, ladders and standing for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift at least fifty (50) pounds.
- Must undergo and pass physical exam.
- Must attain a Class "B" (CDL) commercial driver's license with Tanker Endorsement within 180 days of hire; or a class "A" (CDL) commercial driver's license and special endorsements, if job required.
NOTE: Qualifying education, experience, knowledge and skills must be documented on your job application. You may attach a resume to the application as supporting documentation; but ONLY information stated on the application will be used for consideration.
- Completion of a carpentry vocational/technical school or a recognized apprenticeship program.
- General Information
- 40 Hours per Week / Monday - Friday/ As Assigned
- (On-Call, After Hours or Weekends as Required)
- (Emergency situations may require additional hours)
- Commensurate with Experience
- Based on 26 Pay Periods
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date.
- 3100 Federal Road, Houston TX 77015