Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
SVP, Business Development
- Emerus Holdings Inc
- Shift Type
Emerus, the nation’s first and largest operator of micro-hospitals, has incorporated a new paradigm into patient care that has significantly improved access to health care for thousands of people, many of whom live in underserved areas where high-quality patient-centric acute episodic and ambulatory clinical services are needed most. Focusing on excellence, empathy and innovation, Emerus hospitals are organized around the patient and family. This concept allows Emerus and its partners to work with patients while they are healthy to keep them healthy, providing a level of compassionate care and support typically not found at larger hospitals, free-standing emergency rooms or urgent care centers. Emerus works with leading health systems across the nation, including Dignity Health, Baptist Health, The Hospitals of Providence, AHD, INTEGRIS and Baylor Scott & White Health, to put more care and best-in-class provider services into the communities they serve. The Emerus corporate office is based in The Woodlands, Texas, north of the thriving metropolis of Houston. More information is available at emerus.com.
The Senior Vice President of Business Development is responsible for sourcing and negotiating joint ventures with leading health systems to develop and operate micro-hospitals within exclusive territories under the health system’s market brand and care continuum. Serving as the key liaison with prospective health system partners, this executive will communicate the Emerus value proposition and involve other internal and external parties (CEO, President, CFO, General Counsel) when appropriate. The Senior Vice President of Business Development will also oversee the entire development cycle including market and partner prioritization, real estate acquisition, financing and development, as well as internal operations/program management teams.
Essential Job Functions
- Develop a pipeline of health system partners in target geographies, resulting in 2-3 new health system partners and 8-10 new hospital openings annually.
- Work with senior leadership team and physicians to continuously refine partnership pitch and offering.
- Develop partnership funnel by conducting in-depth industry research, attending conferences, cold calling, pursuing Emerus affiliate referrals, and other business development functions.
- Take a data-driven approach to opportunity identification, considering both the environment in which the target operates and the target’s specific traits. Develop and maintain a weighted scorecard to assess the relative attractiveness of alternate opportunities.
- Develop pipeline of partnership opportunities on an MSA-by-MSA basis, focused on target geographies.
- Serve as key liaison with prospective targets, communicate the Emerus value proposition and involve other internal parties (e.g. CEO, President, CFO and General Counsel) where appropriate.
- Work closely with finance and legal on execution efforts, including: initial partnership evaluation, operating considerations, preparation of letter of intent, reimbursement and competitive due diligence, transaction documentation, assisting President with communication materials to the board of directors, and closing.
- When appropriate, lead communication with counterparties over the course of the transaction (including board meetings, key discussions, etc.).
- Act as thought partner with ELT on deal tactics, strategy, and process.
- Work with development, finance and operation teams to develop financial forecast for target operational and financial metrics.
- Develop framework for due diligence, including information requests, advisor utilization and work plan / project management.
- Collaborate with executive team to continuously refine list and understanding of key geographies, mapping out competitive landscape, expansion opportunities, payor dynamics and other key criteria.
- Keep current on market and competitor footprints plus growth trajectories.
- Work with ELT to understand expansion opportunities within current markets.
- Refine criteria for assessing the relative attractiveness of geography.
- Develop and work with relevant functional partners to continuously refine development and de novo processes and systems, including:
- Partnership structure, methodology and processes.
- Key partnership assessment criteria. Continuously refine such criteria to ensure focus is on the right parameters.
- Emerus value proposition to the health system partner (core competencies, capital and operational efficiencies, underwriting discipline, facility design and site selection, core values).
- Integration strategic and work plans.
- Market wide growth initiatives (network distribution, de novos, etc.).
- Generate equity value for Emerus shareholders.
- Be mindful of elements that drive value and build into partnership strategies.
- Pursue strategy that supports all elements of the value creation plan.
- Solicit input and feedback of functional partners to optimize value creation.
Other Job Functions
- Position will require material travel to support business development activities
- Perform additional duties as assigned
- Development/Leadership Experience: 10+ years of experience and a demonstrated track record of transactional growth excellence, driving growth across varied clinical environments through partnerships with health systems or other clinicians.
- Proven enterprise-wide project management skills; the ability to guide and direct multiple strategic initiatives in parallel.
- Naturally connects and builds strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- Personal presence that communicates thought leadership, servant leadership, strong values and industry competency.
- Successful track record of developing an ample pipeline of quality opportunities with successful outcomes.
- Strong presentation skills and success presenting to physicians and senior management.
- An ability to inspire trust and followership in others through compelling influence, powerful charisma, passion in his/her beliefs, and active drive.
- Corporate real estate experience a plus.
- Keen financial instinct/analytical acumen.