Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Medical Coding Specialist
- Emerus Holdings Inc
- Shift Type
Emerus is a nationally recognized, innovative leader in the delivery of inpatient, surgical, and diagnostic medical health care. Specializing in the identification, development and management of improved-access community medical facilities, Emerus provides cost effective, scalable growth opportunities to large-scale, national health care systems throughout the United States.
By providing operationally efficient facilities and focused alignment with current health care trends, Emerus’ community-based hospitals prioritize limited inpatient stays, efficient emergency rooms and cost effective pricing in a smaller campus setting. Based in The Woodlands, Texas, Emerus has more than 1,000 employees, with expert concentrations in over 20 different fields throughout the medical industry.
The purpose of this position is to review medical records documentation to select and sequence the appropriate ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes, verify the correct CPT-4/HCPCS procedure codes are attached and to capture charges for laboratory, radiology, supplies and medical procedures within the following types of records: Emergency Facilities, Inpatient, Observation and Ancillary services.
Essential Job Functions
- Review clinical documentation and diagnostic results to extract data and apply appropriate ICD-10-CM and CPT-4 to include IV infusion and injection codes
- Review clinical documentation and diagnostic results to extract data and apply HCPCS and facility level Evaluation & Management codes for billing
- Abstract and code diagnoses and procedures from health records by using appropriate classification systems
Other Job Functions
- Attend staff meetings or other company sponsored or mandated meetings as required
- Perform additional duties as assigned
- Ability to work off hours and overtime
- High School Diploma or GED, required
- CPC, CPC-H, CIC, COS or CCS, preferred
- 3+ years experience coding using ICD-9-CM & ICD-10-CM, HCPCS and CPT codes, required
- Experience coding emergency or hospital ancillary services, preferred
- Experience coding inpatient and observation services, preferred
- Expertise in pathophysiology, anatomy, medical terminology, coding systems, techniques and procedures, preferred
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Tools (Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook), required
- Proficiency with patient accounting systems, preferred
- Experience using Stockell InsightCS patient accounting system, EPIC Community Connect, Cerner and/or PICIS EMR, preferred
- Experience and knowledge calculating and applying IV Infusion and Injection codes, preferred
- Knowledge of all Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guidelines and regulations, required
- ICD 10 Training/Education (if AAPC Certified, request ICD10 Test completed)
- Position requires fluency in English; written and oral communication