El Campo Independent School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
AIDE - SPECIAL EDUCATION
at El Campo Independent School District
EL CAMPO INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT
Job Title: Special Education Aide – Self Contained
Reports To: Principal and Teacher(s) Assigned
Dept./School: Assigned Campus
Wage/Hour Status: Nonexempt
Pay Grade: Clerical/Para 2
Days Employed: 180
Date Revised: August 10, 2015
Assignments: Lifeskills, Step II -18+, PPCD, Behavior, Autism
Help meet physical and instructional needs of students with disabilities in a self-contained classroom. Assist in implementation of classroom programs, including self-help, behavior management, and instruction programs. Work under general supervision of principal and immediate direction of certified teacher.
High School Diploma or GED
Associate’s degree, two years of study at an institution of higher learning, or have met formal academic assessment as
required by the No Child Left Behind Act
Valid Texas Educational Aide Certificate
Ability to work with children with disabilities
Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
Ability to communicate effectively
Physical ability to move about in the classroom to monitor and supervise students
Learn pertinent procedures and functions quickly and apply them
Establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with those encountered in the course of work
Some experience working with children
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Help teacher prepare instructional materials and classroom displays.
- Help maintain a neat and orderly classroom.
- Help with inventory, care, and maintenance of equipment.
- Help teacher keep administrative records and prepare required reports.
- Provide orientation and assistance to substitute teachers.
- Assist students with physical disabilities according to their needs including transferring to and from wheelchairs; lifting; positioning; or assisting students with personal care such as feeding, bathroom needs, and personal hygiene.
- Help manage behavior of students. This includes intervening in crisis situations and restraining disruptive or dangerous students as needed.
- Recognize differences in each student’s special medical, physical, communicative, and emotional needs and adapt methods and interaction accordingly.
- Work with individual students or small groups to develop motor skills and conduct instructional exercises assigned by teacher.
- Help supervise students throughout the school day, inside and outside the classroom. This includes lunchroom, bus, and playground duty.
- Keep teacher informed of special needs or problems of individual students.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Participate in staff development training programs, faculty meetings, and special events as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Standard office equipment including computer and peripherals; standard instructional equipment; other specialized and adaptive equipment used by students
Posture: Frequent standing; kneeling/squatting, bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Frequent walking and reaching
Lifting: Frequent light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds); Occasional heavy lifting (45 pounds or over) and positioning or students with physical disabilities, controlling behavior through physical restraint, assisting nonambulatory students, and lifting and moving adaptive and other classroom equipment
Environment: Work inside and outside (exposure to sun, heat, cold, and inclement weather); exposure to noise; exposure to biological hazards (bacteria, communicable diseases)
Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress
Job Contact Information
Friday, April 26, 2019 12:00 AM
(Central Standard Time)