Contango Oil & Gas Company
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Human Resources Manager
at Contango Oil & Gas Company
- 23-Jul-2019 (CST)
- Houston, TX, USA
- Full Time
Location: Houston, TX
Contango Oil & Gas Company is a Houston, Texas based, independent oil and natural gas company. The Company's business is to maximize production and cash flow from its onshore properties in Texas and Wyoming and offshore properties in the shallow waters of the Gulf of Mexico and to use that cash flow to explore, develop, exploit, produce and acquire crude oil and natural gas properties in the onshore Texas and Rocky Mountain regions of the United States.
The Company historically focused operations in the Gulf of Mexico. In 2013 the Company completed a merger with Crimson Exploration Inc., which provided access to lower risk, long life onshore resource plays. After the 2013 merger, the Company's acquisition and drilling activity has focused, and will continue to focus, primarily onshore, and specifically in the Southern Delaware Basin, the Woodbine in Southeast Texas, Wyoming and the Eagle Ford in South and Southeast Texas.
Under the direction of Contango's executive management team, this role is responsible for managing all activates under the human resources function. This is a hands-on managerial role, requiring heavy project management and administration, as well as a strategic role, providing guidance to senior management and implementing plans for improvement in the management of human capital.
- Proactive Leadership Partner with leadership to represent and effectively communicate messages, expectations and direction to employees across all levels of the company. Participate in the necessary leadership meetings and conversations to gain the insight necessary to contribute in this regard. Reinforce a positive company culture that promotes employee engagement, teamwork and accountability.
- Talent Management Identify and implement best practices for the full lifecycle of employee development including orientation, training and development, performance management, and retention. Develop manager relationships and effective training to promote accountability practices. When necessary, counsel and empower managers through disciplinary action and termination procedures. Advise leadership on promotions, advancement, and internal succession planning.
- Goals Alignment - Work closely with management to evaluate and oversee the goals alignment system to ensure a fair and consistent processes and a culture of accountability for results. Assist with goal-setting and development plans.
- Workforce Planning Partner with senior leadership and management to evaluate staffing needs, develop appropriate organizational structure, define roles and develop/execute effective recruitment and development strategies.
- Benefits Lead the selection process, negotiation and implementation of benefit plans. Communicate plan changes and address employee questions/concerns. Ensure that Contango maintains competitive benefits while maintaining effective budget and adhering to all local, state and Federal laws.
- Compensation Contribute to growth, retention and profitability by ensuring that compensation structures are competitive and in line with the company's overall compensation strategy. Develop and implement changes to company's compensation strategy as needed to attract and retain an engaged and accountable workforce. Manage the company's annual bonus, LTI and salary review processes and partner with the leadership team to improve the process. Partner with CFO to manage the company's executive compensation consultant relationship to effectively support the executive compensation strategy.
- Employee Relations and Compliance Foster an environment of trust, understanding and accountability with employees and managers to reinforce a positive company culture. Work closely with outside legal counsel, managers and employees to assist in issue resolution. Provide internal expertise necessary to ensure compliance with the organization's policies and procedures, as well as local, state and Federal regulations.
- Payroll - Maintain an efficient and accurate payroll function, assuring adherence to all applicable state and Federal laws.
Required Abilities & Behaviors:
- Situational manager/leader, delegates or takes charge as the situation requires
- Ability to leverage experience and available resources in issue evaluation and problem solving
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Proactive analytical skills with heavy attention to detail
- Proven ability to influence, collaborate and constructively challenge within a multi-disciplinary team
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- 7+ years of progressive experience in a generalist capacity
- Minimum 3 years of payroll experience
- SPHR/PHR certification preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of current labor laws
- Highly proficient in using the Microsoft Office suite of applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Must be able to travel, as needed
- Must be able wear various personal protective equipment, as needed
- Must have a valid TX driver's license and good driving record