City of League City
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of League City
- Job Description
League City Meter Technicians complete work orders associated with water billing by disconnecting and reconnecting water service. Meter technicians also check meters for indication of leaks and may make repairs to minor leaks in the meter boxes. This is a safety sensitive and/or DOT position. As such, you will be required to participate in random drug testing at the city.
Click here to learn more about our Utility Billing department.
- Example of Duties
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by employees in this job. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- Disconnects water service for non-payment of service and reconnects service after payment is received.
- Performs services at the customer's request, including turning on new service, terminating service, checking meters for indication of leaks, verifying meter information, and maintaining meter boxes.
- Obtains manual readings from meters that are not reading electronically.
- Installs meters for at new construction sites.
- Repairs minor leaks inside water meter boxes by replacing damaged parts; performs field tests on water meters when leaks are discovered.
- Troubleshoots electronic equipment for automated meter reading system; replaces damaged electronic equipment as required.
- Repairs or replaces damaged meters, meter boxes, and meter parts (both electronic and manual meters).
- Performs related work as required.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school diploma (or GED equivalent).
- At least one year of experience working closely with the public. Experience with "field work", especially relating to the billing process.
- Possession of a valid driver's license with good driving record. If in possession of a valid out of state license, must pass and obtain Texas driver's license within three months of hire.
- Supplemental Information
- City streets, minor plumbing and electronics and meter equipment
- Water meters (parts and equipment); water pressures, and meter valves
- English grammar, spelling, punctuation
- Interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships
- Performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature
- Operating hand tools and driving a truck
- Performing basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, and ratios
- Troubleshoot water meter problems effectively and efficiently
- Work with effectively with the public
- Work independently outdoors in all weather conditions
- Meet schedules and deadlines of the work
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions
- Accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files