City of League City
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of League City
- Job Description
The Accounting Manager directly supervises the City's general accounting, payroll & accounts payable functions. The Accounting Manager also provides assistance with debt management, fixed assets, & financial reporting and also assists in the management and accounting for special financing districts, maintenance of accounting records, and general ledger account reconciliations.
- Example of Duties
- Reviews and updates processes and procedures for accounting functions including payroll, accounts payable and general accounting.
- Directly supervises the City's payroll functions to ensure timely processing by reviewing calculations and associated reports, completing W2 monthly and quarterly reports required by state and federal agencies, and reviewing monthly insurance reconciliations.
- Supervises Accounts Payable functions to ensure payments made are accurate & timely, in compliance with applicable policies and laws.
- Supervises Accountants as related to general ledger account maintenance and journal entry postings by reviewing, investigating, and correcting errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, assisting with general ledger account reconciliations, maintenance of general ledger accounts.
- Performs monthly bank reconciliation of the City's general disbursement fund and reviews and analyzes daily bank deposit transactions with the general ledger.
- Creates and monitors a system of controls, procedures and forms for the recordation of fixed assets including newly acquired assets and existing fixed assets, ensures the proper recording of depreciation and disposition of fixed assets.
- Manages month-end close process and procedures, performs closing procedures in accounting system and ensures appropriate reconciliations of accounts are completed prior to closing.
- Coaches, develops and evaluates administrative and professional/technical staff to accomplish the division's work load; plans, prioritizes, and assigns staff to maximize employee development, diversity of individual assignments, and cross training.
- Assists with preparing and providing documentation in support of the annual external audit and prepares schedules for the comprehensive annual financial report.
- Participates in debt management by maintaining debt schedules, processes year-end debt transactions, process debt payments and provides information and reports for arbitrage calculations and schedules.
- Prepares annual reports for Tax Increment Financing Zones.
- Calculates and processes payments for special financing districts such as Municipal Utility Districts, Tax Increment Financing Zones, and Public Improvement Districts.
- Performs reconciliation with Budget's financial reports.
- Performs related work as required.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, finance or a related field OR at least nine years of experience in accounting, finance, or a related field.
- At least five years of related work experience, in accounting, finance or a related field, including general ledger accounting experience.
- Municipal government experience preferred.
- Supplemental Information
- Governmental accounting principles and procedures.
- GASB pronouncements and GAAP requirements.
- Debt administration regarding bond payments and disclosure reporting.
- Federal arbitrage rules and regulations as it relates to the investment of bond proceeds.
- Special financing districts.
- Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment
- Using Excel proficiently
- Entering data accurately
- Assigning, prioritizing, monitoring, and reviewing work assignments
- Interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships
- Performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature
- Performing intermediate mathematical functions.
- Provide accuracy and attention to details to meet task deadlines.
- Interpret and apply local, state, and federal regulations pertaining to payroll procedures and practices.
- Maintain the confidentiality of information and professional boundaries.
- Communicate effectively in both verbal and written form.
- Evaluate and formulate policies and procedures.
- Accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files
- Maintain the confidentiality of information and professional boundaries
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The position is generally sedentary. Employees sit most of the time, but may walk or stand for brief periods of time.